What is an addon domain?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by chris34, Feb 23, 2010.

1. chris34

chris34
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Hi

An addon domain is a fully functional domain that can be created from within your control panel. Think of it as having multiple hosting packages all sharing the same control panel. You can give them email addresses, forwarders, and more the same way you do for your main domain on the account.

The addon domain will appear as a totally separate domain from your primary domain. There should be no evidence that your domain is an addon domain to incoming traffic when they visit your addon domain.

Keep sharing and reading
    Thanks

2. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Chris,

Good stuff. Let me add some more.

Add-on domain is like adding more saving account to your online banking membership. Your membership is common but your saving accounts have identical account numbers to point to. Simiarly, your host provides add-on feature only if you are signed with the hosting provide who supports multiple domain/website in your account. If you don't have multiple domain functionality, you won't see this option. You will only see subdomain option.

Sub domains are different than add-on domains. Sub domains are subset of a domain. I have moneyreallymatters.com as my blog website and I have my subdomain site answers.moneyreallymatters.com which just points to a different directory under moneyreally matters.com

Add-on domain is you are pointing a totally new domain to a new directory under the same hosting account. It helps to maintain as many domains under the same hosting account/cpanel. I have cheap websites from yahoo.com and I point my domain to my hosting account using the add-on domains.

Hope this helps.

3. maxcreigs

maxcreigs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

An add-on domain is a new domain that is added on top of your main domain. We can save money and web space by using add on domain instead of several hosting accounts. The add-on domain has its own FTP manager, site stats which is created automatically.