What is a bigger revenue-er?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Justin McBride, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Justin McBride

Justin McBride
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Would you say that donations are a better source of revenue than ad programs such as Adsense and Bidvertiser?

I personally think they even out in the end because it is dependent on what the end user will do.

2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it really depends on your community. If you have a close or friendly community then you will probably make more in donations as they have more interest in keeping things the way they are. For blogs and the like I guess Adsense are more likely to work but I don't have any experience in that field.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You could try both, Justin. Include a donation button for a month and see how much you earn from it. Next month replace the donation button with Adsense ads and then compare the revenue. You could also consider using both options at the same time.

A lot will depend on the type of site you are planning on earning revenue from. Are you asking in reference to the community in your signature?

4. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Justin: FYI: Have registered on your community and will make some posts later on to give a little increase to the numbers.

5. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

as an ex-forum owner i have experienced this, i started getting traffic after two years of launching my forum, before that i had to tackla a lot of spammers (well, this has got nothing to do with the topic). once i had real traffic in my forum the donations also started coming in. earlier there was neither adsense income nor donations.

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No one can tell the exact answer or saying different people will tell you the different answer. To know the actual answer, you need to try them out on your website. Different website might perform different result

7. Justin McBride

Justin McBride
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks everyone for the input. I will be trying both soon. I get where most of you are getting at. I think most of it is basic human psychology