What if Facebook release their own search engine

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by patrick0001, Sep 13, 2012.

?

What is the chances of Facebook success in search engine game

1. Above 50%

66.7%
  2. Below 50%

33.3%
  1. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 1
  2. Marius081

Marius081
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it would be social related and Likes or Facebook Pages would weight more on top search results.

Facebook will release a search engine for sure because of Google. As Google gives more relevant results if owner has a Google Plus profile it's obvious that Facebook has to overcome this move.

3. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Currently Facebook is collaborative with Bing search, do you think FB will become Bing search competitor?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

More and more FaceBook users turn to FaceBook when they are searching for something or someone on the web. Perhaps not when looking for reference information, but FaceBook is a great resource for finding people and businesses.

In the article linked to in this thread there is a quote - "Zuckerberg said that Facebook is doing a billion searches per day". That's a lot of searches and at least some proportion of them would have been conducted on Google, if FaceBook didn't exist.

For those reasons I believe that FaceBook will launch a successful search engine.

5. renegadeleader

renegadeleader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Imagine if Facebook allows you to search in the web. I think it will be a hit!

6. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It give us more alternative, instead of stick with Google and Bing.

7. MarkH

MarkH
    uix_expand uix_collapse

More search engines more traffic. It is good idea, they have to come up with some other concept to make it big. Google is the king right now and it is not going to take the search market litely.

8. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In a way, this may be a good thing. Over the past couple of years, Google has alienated many people by overusing their power. Facebook may have the wherewithal to give Google a run for its money.

9. MarkH

MarkH
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It will capture around 20% marketshare if they release a search engine at this point of time. They might give more weight to facebook pages. If they implement regular search feature then it will be a sure hit, considering their traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LucidWebMarketng

LucidWebMarketng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I was Facebook, I would definitely try to monetize all those users more. Web search is one way. I would also offer more services, both free and paid, to attract more users and get them to stay on my site, just like Google is doing.

A few questions arise however. First, do they have the know-how and technology? I seriously doubt it. Second, would their users start using their search engine? Big if there but I'm inclined to think many would, at least give it a try. But they have years of catching up to do to match other search engines in providing a good product. That brings me back to the first question. I just don't think they can pull it off. Poor and irrelevant results and people will go back to whatever they were using before and stick with FB for the social aspect.

>> Google has alienated many people by overusing their power.

Could you explain this Denise? How? What power are you talking about?

• Like Like x 1
  11. DaniaLLL

DaniaLLL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think if facebook did this it will be a big hit and will be appreciated