What I look out for in a new SEO company

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by JohnBrowder, Feb 7, 2015.

1. JohnBrowder

JohnBrowder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As someone who has worked with a SEO company for four years, I was relatively sad when I was told that the company was closing (apparently they were going to switch their focus to something other than SEO).

I have since found a new company that I am very happy with, but it is frustrating to find so many people online who claim to have SEO knowledge, and there are just instant red flags. These are a few of mine, and I hope you can share some of your own so we can build a list for future reference.

• Their blog content is copied and pasted from elsewhere.
    • They don’t rank.
    • The SEO ranks but their site is spammy and has no original content
    • The SEO’s clients all link to each other, or their clients’ website/blog links out to random, non-related stuff.
    • They’re spouting corporate/digital marketing speak but it isn’t really making any sense.

If you have anyone like this, dump them. Find yourself a reputable digital marketing agency and get more benefits from it.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

John:

As a sales rep for a website marketing and design firm, I agree with most of your comments except the second, "They don't rank", and the third, "The SEO ranks but their site is spammy and has no original content". We were actually ranked for seven years for several phrases related to SEO, but there were so many bad SEO firms, and so many people were getting scammed by bad SEO firms, that we were getting swamped with too many prospects, so we stopped attempting to get our site ranked. We are constantly getting new clients, and they are doing very well, even though we don't rank. As far as the third item on your list, if their site is spammy and has no original content, they shouldn't be getting ranked. If they are, it means they are using black-hat techniques, and that won't last very long.

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are lots of them with sites that actually don't rank but when you take a look at the sites of their clients and their elance page, they do have high ratings from employers. They probably have no time to update their blogs since their pre occupied.

4. prakash

prakash
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there are bad SEO companies and Good SEO companies, Bad companies try to rank a non deserving webpage for a keyword just to get traffic or for other reason, But Good or White Hat SEO don't do that, White Hat SEO just follow Google guidelines for deserving web page, In my company we talk to the clients directly that only deserving page will be on SERP, In that case we don't have to do spammy things or use any black hat technique for ranking.

5. Hum Students

Hum Students
    uix_expand uix_collapse

dear when you are selecting a seo company must must look critically on their website. The content of the site, meta info title, description and how they link different pages within the site. One more thing you need to focus on results rather than other things and also try to give list of keywords to them instead they define the keyword list.

6. bonjoseph85

bonjoseph85
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One thing that will help you to find best SEO firms is their previous work. Ask them to give contact details of the clients for whom they have done work and gave satisfied results. If they are a genuine company then they will surely share the information. If you get details of their previous clients, then you can contact with them and ask about the company.

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

In some cases, clients' agreements include an NDA, or non-disclosure agreement, so they cannot be used as a reference. The SEO firms clients also have businesses of their own, and cannot spend a lot of time expressing their opinion of the SEO firm's work. Therefore, the SEO firm will want to determine a prospect's level of interest before giving a client's name as a reference - they will not give out references just because someone asks for them.

8. IrekJanek

IrekJanek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, if they rank below 4 and unique backlinks <200, it is a red flag.

9. JosephTramontana

JosephTramontana
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes there is no doubt that good seo and bad seo both type of companies exist. If you are hiring someone ask them about their previous work. I am agree with @bonjosheph85, ask them to give some of their clients contact details.

10. thinkglow

thinkglow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I definitely agree about looking at their portfolio first and look how they do to them when it comes to SEO of a certain website client. There are a lot of SEO companies claiming to be good so always trust your instincts on choosing which one to avail services from. Also, look how they design their website first if it has content or articles that you think speaks about their knowledge regarding the job.

11. anubhavsharma78

anubhavsharma78
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whenever choosing a Contractor for your SEO work, as them about their previous projects and their performances. Try to look for stability in their work and how genuine it is.

12. Melissa Feeney

Melissa Feeney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How can a website rank in search engines, if it looks spammy and has duplicate content? Can you please explain? Why such websites are not affected by Panda or Penguin?

Suppose I live at Chicago and I am looking for a SEO firm. For my requirement, I will search “best SEO Company in Chicago” and then I can choose from the top results. According to my opinion, Google has ranked a particular SEO firm for this keyword only because this firm has implemented ethical SEO techniques. In this way, I can find a reputable SEO firm.

#12 Melissa Feeney, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  13. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

You can start by searching on Google, but it's still a good idea to check them out first. Call them up and see how much actual knowledge they have. If they have a listing of their results, check a few of them to see if they are still accurate. Check out their testimonials. Even SEO firms are not immune to "gaming" the system, so a top SE ranking doesn't necessarily mean they are the best.

14. paullinus

paullinus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I usually take SEO work from clients and handover the job to any SEO company. So in this regard I have worked with 5-6 such companies. Among all those I found Web Net 3.0 in Italy to be good. I have personal experience that they don't do spammy work, but they are limited to Italy only.

#14 paullinus, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2015