What hosting to choose? [important decision need to make]

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Hazel, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Hazel

Hazel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am developing freelance website. First month my marketing team aiming to bring 1 000 Registered Members to the website. I don't want to have own video hosting inside my website, from my website they can upload the youtube video[less then 1minute everyone video]. But they will upload photos maximum 5 images.

the developer gave us a package for: Yearly VPS hosting with 300GB Disk Space.

1st question: Is that i should choose VPS hosting for my type website??
    2nd question: what the developer suggest me is good for me or you people have other suggestion for me.

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are not allowing members to upload videos from your hosting service in your site but to embed Youtube videos in your site then I think there is no need to worry about webspace. I don't think you will need VPS for this. 300 GB VPS looks good to me but it won't be enough If you are allowing users to use your own hosting for uploading videos and 1,000 members will seriously eat webspace in no time If they randomly upload videos and mostly movies.

The VPS will be fairly enough to host your freenlance website. But make sure you have enough bandwidth for this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hazel

Hazel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

devilbatista said: If i am not allowing members to upload videos from my hosting service in my site but to embed Youtube videos in the site then u said u think there is no need to worry about webspace.

"Yearly VPS hosting with 300GB Disk Space."
    So what the web developer offering me is necessary for me? i should accept?
    or i should ask him more disk space now or less disk space?

4. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are not allowing user to upload videos on your website and simply embed the videos then you do not have to worry about that eating up space. But you said you would also allow user's to upload images to the site so that would need space beside the webspace needed by your website.

Depending on how many users you add in the coming months the 300GB space is quite sufficient. What you should think about is the bandwidth you would be getting and at what cost you are getting these. Is that something you have considered?

5. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You don't need 300 GB Disk Space If members can only embed Youtube videos. But If you are paying for the VPS of 300 GB Disk Space, You can reduce to 200 GB. But If you are not paying for it, 300 GB is good. You know when users increase and years go on, your webspace gets filled up. So stick with 300 GB If this is your long term project.

6. Hazel

Hazel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

-web Development Separate Cost
    -Yearly VPS hosting with 300GB Disk Space and own domain name: 1000 USD
    -Maintenance and Support Yearly: 1300 USD
    ** 3 months warranty after delivery

This is the offer i receive to develop my website from a web developer.

[This is my long term project, my website will grow monthly and we are working on the strategy plan currently. i have professional marketer guy, designers, business people who i am working with now. BUT i don't know any web developer, i found one person and the price quote he gave is above. what you guys think about this?]

#6 Hazel, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hazel you might consider getting your hosting from a separate supplier than your web developer. That way, you can still maintain control and ownership of your site, in the event that you decide not to work with that particular web developer any more.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hazel: Is the VPS installed with Cpanel for WebHosting? Fergal is right, with the price you have given us about the VPS offer, you can get much better Hosting account and also a VPS. 100 or 200 GB can be more than enough, else there is always a thing called "upgrade".

9. Hazel

Hazel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok i will get my hosting from a separate supplier. Which one do you guys suggest for my type website??

10. saahil

saahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree with Fergal, you need to owe it as separate entities
    - Web hosting
    - Developer - should have contract of developing & maintaining site

It will give you better ownership
    Also - the pricing you referred of 1000 + 1300 USD is too high. You can infact get a powerful dedicated server with 24x7 support in 1800 USD
    For VPS - even the best of hosting providers offers plans which can fit within 750 USD with 24x7 support

11. Hazel

Hazel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can you provide link of the dedicated server company?
    can u also provide the VPS hosting provider link?

12. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What location are you looking for? And I would like to know if you have purchased the domain name yet? If yes, then is it registered under your name or your web developers. In case you wish to change your developer later on you must be able do that so you need the domain under your name and the hosting from a different provider. This way you can upgrade easily and also save on a lot of cost on your web hosting.

13. chipper

chipper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

14. singhabhishek251

singhabhishek251
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hazel,
    Few things I would like to highlight for you.
    Book Domain and hosting from your own account and you said that you may allow users to upload up-to 5 images, then you can restrict users from uploading more than 500kb images for their profile or maybe some more. It would decrease the need of 300GB and you can easily settle for 200GB.

15. AdMyPixel

AdMyPixel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always go with Siteground, they're the best.

16. ducson12

ducson12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always go with VPS, they're the best.

17. WebNet Host

WebNet Host
    uix_expand uix_collapse

VPS Hosting will be a good option for your requirement. You can also go with a lowend dedicated server if you have a flexible budget