What factors to keep in mind before buying a domain ?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by simplyjo, Apr 29, 2010.

1. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many people (like me) build websites on high PR domains. But, honestly, so far, I have just been buying domains on what my friends suggest/ recommend. However, I would love to learn what really makes a domain 'worth buying' ?
    Domain sellers give below info -
    domain name
    price
    PR
    Total links
    Alexa
    Creation date

So what IS the most imp factor or factors ? Is it the PR / Price / Perhaps a .com name is prefered over a .info / total links ? What really makes a domain name worth its money. Pls suggest.

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

keyword is in it and not dropped.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My preference has always been to buy a short memorable dot com. Something that's brandable for your business / website and that is attractive to your target market.

4. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

how do you know its dropped or not ?

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

its pretty hard to spot a dropped domain. try googling te domain and see if its registered with different contents. i think whois lists dropped domains as its retains the old registered name.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What I can think of now is keywords, relevance to your site and SERP.
    Page Rank and Alexa is not that really important. It gets overrated. :(

7. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Considering that the main purpose for buying a domain is to gain ad's - what is it that advertisers look for ? Dont they look for PR ?

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as I know, traffic is more important.

9. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been at DigitalPoint, just observing the nature of sellers and this is what I gathered.

People want sites/domains that:
    -get traffic. Traffic = Money (in the long run).
    -generate money/revenue. People do want to make the money they spent in the first place back.

If you are looking to continuing a site, look at short, .com domains. This is where the majority of the market lays and you want to fit in. Of course any domain can become the next big thing. Its just a matter of good judgment and timing.

10. facerecpromo

facerecpromo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@Fergal

100% agree with you. Why to make it so complicated just sort and simple with appropriate website theme and brand.

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The most important is short domain and keyword inside the domain.
    There are the major factor

12. antonclovelly

antonclovelly
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The domain age is most important thing which people like to know before buying any service from site. because its shows that from how long the site is live on internet. So before buying any website look for domain age. it must be 4 to 5 years old.

13. Domainate

Domainate
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A little background on me before I give my opinion - I make a living selling domains. I don't get domains to develop on, but purely to resell, and I sell to big corporations, entrepreneurs, and other domainers like me.

Having said that, I personally pay very little attention to Alexa/backlinks/PR when I get domains. I focus solely on strength of keyword phrase (monthly searches for the exact phrase, avg CPC for it, KEI, etc.), age (more age is better and tends to help in SEO), length (primarily avoiding domains that are too long), sticking with com/net/org, generally avoiding hyphens unless the keyword phrase is REALLY good, etc. There's a certain "feel" aspect of it too that people simply aren't likely to have unless they have been involved with domains for a long time, but it's easier to cut down on bad reg's if you stick with strong keyword domains in com/net/org.

If you're getting something more involved with social media or for a serious business where branding is more important than SEO, you could also go the short brandable .com route, but that is REALLY subjective...one person's junk is another person's treasure with that kind of domain. The best you can do is stick with something easy to spell and sound out that's memorable and doesn't sound junky or cheap...if that makes any sense.

Also, don't be afraid to spend a little more to buy a good name. You only have the upfront cost, then renewal fees afterwards are the same as if you registered it yourself. The single biggest mistake most online businesses make IMO is simply picking the first "decent" domain they find available for their business. It's a great opportunity to give your business an immediate edge if you do things right. That's why I don't look for PR/backlinks/existing traffic most of the time...if you get a good enough name, building it up is easier and later on you won't regret having a crappy domain simply because it had PR/backlinks.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Domainate, thanks for joining and posting. Do you have a website where you list the domain names you have for sale?

15. Domainate

Domainate
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal and thanks for the welcome!

Your post prompted me to update the domains for sale lists I have online (usually I am providing an updated list to people by request). Here they are:

.com | .net | .org | Other extensions

Anyone's free to PM me for prices on anything. Anyways, you can see from what I have there that for the most part I go after keyword domains in .com and .org. I have a lot in certain areas like finance, health/medical, business opportunity/work at home, etc.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's an extremely impressive list of domains. Good luck and continued success with your business. You are welcome to advertise your domains for free in our Member Ads & Marketplace section.

17. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow excellent tips, Domainate. I hope I can learn some more from you. I feel lost in the world of domains without 'adequate' knowledge.

18. tomjunction

tomjunction
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you should consider the following things before buying a domain name...

1. Backlinks
    2. PR
    3. Age of Domain
    4. History of Domain
    5. High Value DMOZ & Yahoo! Directory Listings
    6. Indexing