What does the number on top in google search means

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by manishsqrt, Jun 1, 2015.

1. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you search for any keyword on google, You see on top it display 'about 18300000 results'.When you keep on moving to last page it displays something like page 384 of 384 results.Before you go to last page it keeps displaying millions and when you reach last page it becomes few hundreds.What does this number mean.I have heard that it means the competition.But does it mean google has found that much webpages with that keyword or google has found that keyword that many times on few hundred pages.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

The number you referred to is the total number of results for the keyword entered, because they are related to the search or contain one or more of the words in the keyword entered. The closer the results are to page 1 of the results, the more likely they are to be related to the search. As you get further and further from the first page, the relevance of the results will decrease, until they are not related, but simply contain one or more of the words in the entered keyword(s). This is why the number of results will decrease as you get further and further from page 1 - because the number of pages actually related to your search term will decrease.
    For example, in a separate post, you asked a question about the keyword "quiz". This keyword gets 317,000,000 results, with a variety of different quizzes listed. On page 37, the last page listed, Google still indicated 317,000,000 results, and I got the following message:

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 378 already displayed.
    If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included.

In other words, because of the decreased relevance, Google chose only to display 378 results, and would not go further unless I indicated I wanted to.