What does reverse SEO means and how to do it ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by justin Urbas, Aug 28, 2015.

1. justin Urbas

justin Urbas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, a few days back one of my client called me up about a project on Reverse SEO, is it same as reputation management, what are the ways to do it ?

2. OhioTom76

OhioTom76
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting, this is the first I've heard of that phrase, but after Googling it, it does in fact sound more like reputation management. At first I thought it was another expression for Negative SEO, which is entirely different.

With regards to reverse seo, generally speaking you want to build a bunch of web properties that outrank any sites that are currently ranking for your branded terms - which may be making you look bad. I ran into this issue years ago when Wikipedia first rolled out. I had set up a Wiki page describing the company I was working for, but a few months later, a handful of people who hated our company started "updating" our Wiki page with all sorts of remarks trashing our company. Unfortunately the more we engaged in editing wars with them, the higher the page began to rank whenever someone searched for our company on Google by name.

In a situation like that, or even something such as bad Yelp reviews, or complaints on Consumer Reports and other popular sites, the goal is to get a bunch of other sites outranking them to push those results off the first page at the very least.

Some common techniques are to try ranking pages from popular Web 2.0 properties, such as Twitter, Squidoo, Tumblr, Blogger, etc... these are established properties which already have high page ranks and authority, so building pages within these regarding your web site could help push stuff like a negative Wikipedia page off the first page. Unlike Wikipedia you generally have more control over the content on these pages, so some joe schmo can't just start posting all sorts of negative information about you on them.

Another approach, which is a little more costly, is to invest in variations of your domain name and building microsites related to your company which rank on the first page of the search results when someone does a search for you. Generally speaking, if someone does a search for your brand name on Google, Google isn't going to only show results from your domain. In fact, they are purposefully going to try and show results from multiple domains, so no one web site gets to dominate the SERPs. So if you owned computerstore.com and there were some bad results showing up beside you in the SERPs, you could potentially outrank them by buying some related domains and building small sites related to your business such as computerstorereviews.com or computerstoreonline.com, etc... The key is to make sure these additional sites look legit and of some sort of benefit to the consumer, otherwise Google can de-index them and consider them merely doorway pages.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I think even Google can figure out that if you are looking for a specific company or brand name, you probably want to see results from that company. If you are searching for a keyword related to a brand name, you wouldn't want to see only results from the company that owns that brand name. So if someone wanted to search "Dell computer reviews", they wouldn't want to see only results from Dell websites, or sites owned by Dell. Therefore, I cannot recommend buying domains for the purpose of creating websites that need to "look legit".
    On the other hand, writing articles and sharing them on popular, high-authority websites is a much better idea. You can also create a testimonial page on your website, and work on getting that ranked. The idea is to have good reviews(or articles) from many sources getting ranked on Google's page 1, pushing down, or de-ranking, the bad reviews and articles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. guptaabhijit318

guptaabhijit318
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Reverse SEO is trying to decrease a site's ranking. It is usually used to handle and put a bad reputation in the search results down. It is a technique that is competent of decreasing a competitor’s rank in the Google Search Engine.

5. Jacob Conway

Jacob Conway
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I understand the easy temptation behind reverse engineering but as an SEO myself I'm going to warn you that you could also be copying the flaws of that competitor as well as the good things.

Books and knowledge will help anyone dominate in anything they do.

Isaac Newton said it best "If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"

Read what SEO experts do and copy it! Once you get to domination you can experiment with other things.

It's OK to copy, but education will keep you from copying the bad habits from an SEO campaign.

6. steveposter

steveposter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Reverse SEO is implemented to competitors websites and I'm not surprised that one of the clients are requesting it from the SEO providers. Its purpose is to bring down the reputation of the website/s from Google by applying spam and link scheming directing to the competitors websites.

• Like Like x 2
  7. guptaabhijit318

guptaabhijit318
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Reverse SEO is trying to decrease a site's ranking. It is usually used to handle and put a bad reputation in the search results down. It is a technique that is competent of decreasing a competitor’s rank in the Google Search Engine.

8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Not necessarily. Using Spam and link schemes to reduce the ranking of a site that legitimately belongs there is how unethical or dishonest webmasters and marketing providers will use it, but there are legitimate uses for Reverse SEO as a reputation management tool.

9. justin Urbas

justin Urbas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can you suggest me what are the legitimate tools of Reverse SEO, because my client is complaining too much

10. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

The "tools" for Reverse SEO are the same as for SEO. The difference is what they are used for. Instead of using the tools to get rankings for your website, or your client's website in this case, you would use them to get rankings for things like positive reviews and articles.
    You probably don't want to hear this part, but according to your signature, you have expertise in tax strategy and planning, wealth creation, motivation and leadership, but I see nothing about SEO. It is admirable that you are willing to learn the right way to do it, and I don't want to discourage you. But, if you really don't have the expertise to do what the client wants, do you know someone you can recommend? Sometimes it's better for a client to remember you sent them to the right person, rather than have them remember you as someone who couldn't take care of what they needed, and made them wait while you tried to figure out how to help them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. justin Urbas

justin Urbas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you are right actually I am new into this digital marketing stuff and was doing some in-house work of my own, but lately one client of mine showed interest in that, so was thinking of doing such stuffs to maintain his "image".

12. bankexchangerate

bankexchangerate
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Opposite SEO is trying to reduce a website's position. It is usually used to deal with and put a bad popularity in the look for motor outcomes down. It is a strategy that is qualified of reducing a competitor’s position in the Search engines Search Engine.

13. justin Urbas

justin Urbas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well after few days of study i came up with two of them 1) Negative SEO 2) Reverse SEO either of them tend to do the same task following different paths, but now you mentioned another term Opposite SEO is it same as Negative SEO, what you are intending to convey ?

14. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I was also confused about what s/he was attempting to say. I have no idea what "put a bad popularity in the look for motor outcomes down" means, but I think I can figure it out. For both Opposite SEO(a term I have never seen) and Negative SEO, the intent seems to be to deliberately reduce a competitor's ranking. Reverse SEO, however, is a reputation management tool that reduces th ranking of bad reviews and articles by increasing the ranking of good articles and reviews. Since the intention is to increase the ranking of the good sites. which naturally decreases the ranking of bad sites, this is the way it is usually done. Unethical practitioners use techniques that are deliberately designed to reduce the ranking of a competitor's website, and this is to be discouraged.

15. justin Urbas

justin Urbas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, i think you have placed everything at the right place, but i think opposite SEO is a term which i never heard of, google has re-invented itself with ranking techniques on the basis of popularity of pages, so its not easy to pull down any sort of page in any unethical way.