What do you think of "Rework"?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Rubs, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Rubs

Rubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone!

I recently bought the Rework by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson (creators of Basecamp and Ruby on Rails) and was so amazed by their simple wisdom. Every chapter is 1-2 pages and it contains very condensed and to the point advice on starting/running a small business.

I'm currently reading it for the second time and I was wondering if anyone has read it and what do you guys think?

I apologize, I didn't see the sub-forum for Books & eBooks... Can anyone please move this thread to that sub-forum? Thanks...

#1 Rubs, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Rubs it looks like a great book and the reviews at Amazon are very positive. I've added it to my cart on Amazon and will purchase and read it, when I finish reading some of the other books on my list.

3. Rubs

Rubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is that list of books you are planning to read public? :) I'm constantly looking for great books to read myself. It would be interesting to know what you find valuable.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ruben, I'm not secretive about my books :) The books on my to read list include;

The Success Principles - Jack Canfield (I read it before and am dipping into it again)
    The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peel (currently reading)
    Four Hour Work Week - Tim Ferris
    Unleashing The IdeaVirus - Seth Godin
    28 Days to a Better Blog - Darren Rowse
    Unlimited Power - Anthony Robbins

Have you read any of them?

5. Rubs

Rubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for sharing Fergal.

I've read "The Success Principles" and I know about the other ones (except 28 days to a better blog) - but haven't read them yet. I've browsed through the "Four Hour Work Week" in a store and somehow found nothing new in it, so I don't think I'll be buying it.

The book that has really affected my life is "Beyond Positive Thinking" by Robert Anthony. But you gotta seriously work with every single chapter in that book.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's my pleasure Ruben, what did you think of "The Success Principles"? Personally I think it's a great book with excellent advice. Obviously the key is to implement it and put it into practice.

Thanks for recommending "Beyond Positive Thinking", in what ways did you benefit from it?

7. Elaine10

Elaine10
    uix_expand uix_collapse

:) Very interesting list of books ! Going to Amazon now to see which ones I would buy. Thank You guys!:D

8. Rubs

Rubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, this is an excellent book, very fundamental. And like with many books of this kind (including "Beyond Positive Thinking"), you need to work with it, implement all the exercises, etc.

I've been using this books for more than a year now (mostly Beyond Positive Thinking, and some of the stuff from "The Success Principles"). I also have BPT in audio, I listen to it in my car or when walking. That's a book you really need to read multiple times. There's no way you'll grasp everything from the beginning. So, when you read it multiple times and constantly listen to it, you learn ways how to do different mental exercises and then you start noticing that in the meantime you're doing those exercises and your levels of thinking are starting to change, your values are changing as well. So, personally, I think that these books have been a huge impact to my life, they made me a much more confident and focused person.

So no one has read "Rework" here ? :)

9. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@Rubs about 2 mounts back my friend had advise me to buy this book and even i purchased it but had no time to read it
    will start soon

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that Rubs, glad to hear that they have helped you and that you continue to benefit from them. I agree with you, it's not reading them that helps you, but putting what you learn from them into practice.

11. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My internet marketing mentor who is among the big internet dudes in the world recommended this as a must read. The rework principle is something I actively apply in my biz

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Tecknowoman sounds like you have benefited from it. Were there any particular lessons from it that you found really helpful?

13. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My biggest lesson is that one things can be many and don't waste effort recreating just rework things. So make that one blog post, a video, a podcast and distribute the content. Do an interview, post a blog post, podcast, video and sell the info product, run a webinar, survey your audience, answer their questions and sell as an info product.

Make life simpler, use the resources around you, the resources you have and repackage everything you have into e,4,5,or 6 different products..

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Tecknowoman, it sounds like a great concept and very practical real world advice that could help a lot of people with their online businesses.