What do you think of MY New Sports Venture?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Ben.Fatherree, Jul 18, 2010.

?

What Marketing Method/s would you use?

1. Infomerical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Offer free starter packs for p.e. teachers

100.0%
  3. Start selling equipment online, tradeshows, retail

50.0%
  4. Social Media, Youtube hype

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ben.Fatherree

Ben.Fatherree
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Everyone! I'm new to this forum, but I'd like to ask some serious questions. :confused:

So my group of friends and I have developed a new sport. It's called HANTIS. Exciting. Fast Paced. Athletic Competition.

I cannot post the website link because I have 0 posts, but here it is in text - WWWdotHANTISdotNET :cool: (watch the homepage video)

Our sport is patent pending, the brand name and logos are trademarked. We have been testing the sport in different demographics for the past 2 years and everyone that plays or watches gets excited and wants to jump in.

We're developing a business plan to present to investors and we need some feedback from you on how we could market the sport to get people to buy into it. :$$:

Should we start selling equipment to spread the sport? Should we create an infomercial? Any suggestions, comments, concerns, encouragement is appreciated. :D

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Ben, welcome to our business forum and thanks for asking your questions. I've had a look at the video on the http://hantis.net/ website and it looks great. As you say the sport is definitely very fast paced, it also requires a lot of skill and looks like great fun for the players and spectators.

You appear to be using social networking very well (I've joined your group in FaceBook and subscribed to your You Tube channel) and I would say that social networking is the way to go to spread the word about the sport. When I visited your Twitter link I got a message from Twitter saying the page doesn't exist - you might want to look at that.

Once people see those videos a lot of them will want to get involved and give the game a try. The next step is to make it easy for them to play. How do you plan on doing that? Your site should probably include a page called something like "Get Involved" that tells people how they can start playing and gives a list of the rules. Make it easy for them, for example tell them that they can use any four tables and stress that they don't need specially designed hantis tables. Give brief instructions on how to set the tables up, e.g. a guide to distance apart and then how they can start playing the game as a beginner. You could offer a sales page on your site for more advanced players to buy equipment, but the first thing to do is to get them playing and interested in the game.

Hopefully that helps at least a little and please post back with your thoughts. I look forward to hearing what our other members think of the game.

3. suzib

suzib
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great game! I love table tennis and volleyball and this looks to be a cross between the two. Brilliant! Is it be possible to have a 2 player version? If you can publish a set of rules (hard work I know) that would help. The video - do you know is good as it gives an over-view but the explained link is restricted at the moment. I look forward to seeing more of this game too. I think the future would be to get more & more people playing it and then try to set up authorised regulation tables but in the meantime allow any table to be used but competitions require regulation size & construction.
    Great game!

4. John1

John1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After watching your video I must say I am impressed by the game. It looks like it could be a lot of fun and with it being a fast paced game the players will not get bored bored waiting around. The idea is great, the person/people who came up with the idea must be congratulated and good luck with the patent application.

I hope this sport will be made known all over the UK as I am sure myself and my friends would love to give it a try!

5. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After watching the video, the game was awesome! It is really a very fast-paced game to play around with.

6. Ben.Fatherree

Ben.Fatherree
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great Ideas!

Thanks for all the helpful messages!

Fergal - Thanks for joining our FB group and Youtube Channel! :D

We really need more great fans like you! Also, thanks for the heads up on the twitter link, it is all fixed now. Making a "Get Involved" page is a great idea, one we plan on implementing once we get our new ACTION PACKS made.

The idea of the ACTION PACK is to give the players the easiest way to learn and play the game. The entire pack will include 2 Loaches, 1 Illustrated Poster (explaining the set up and rules), and an Instructional DVD explaining Competitive Play. We will sell these on our sales page in addition to our shirts and hats.

Yes, you're right, players won't need to buy tables, since they can play on ANY FOUR TABLES. Eventually we plan on selling our regulation tables (once demand increases).

Suzib - We're glad you like it! :cool:

Yes it is possible to play with just 2 people, we just use 2 tables and follow the same rules. It's actually quite fun, especially on those days when you can't get four buddies together.

We've got our RULEBOOK posted on our site, go to the ABOUT tab.

Thank's for the heads up about the missing video link, it's fixed and up for viewing!

We already have a regulation size table that is designed for the player in mind. Smoother edges, no sharp corners, and a unique design that allows the player to move about the game space fluidly. It's actually pretty amazing how good the shape works out when attacking and defending!

Suzib, we need more fans like you! Join our facebook group and youtube channel!

John1 - Wow, Thanks! :p

That's awesome of you to say such nice things about the inventors. It was actually made by a group of 30 high school students over the course of a few months. When our teacher was out of the class, we pushed tables together and started playing and making up rules along the way. It was never meant to leave the classroom, but we got so into it we started playing in people's basements and garages. Now it has just blossomed in college and we really feel like we should share it with everyone else b/c it's just TOO MUCH FUN!

John, we are coming out with an ACTION PACK this Fall. If you'd have an interest in getting a few friends together to play, I can send you one with our official ball and instructional dvd. email me if you do - fatherree(dot)ben(at)gmail(dot)com

50Cent - Thanks! :)

We hope one day it will be a big spectator sport as well. Everyone that watches us play gets really into the competitive and fastpaced-ness that the sport brings out. It is a really GREAT WORKOUT TOO!

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for posting back with that update Ben. The Twitter link is working fine for me now and I've started following you.

You would be welcome to post your website in our Website & Graphic Reviews if you would like some suggestions on how to improve that. All we ask is that you give your opinion on one other website or graphic before requesting your own review.

By the way, how is the FreeTellaFriend service working for you? It looks great, we might consider using it here on Business Advice Forum.

8. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I visited the site and it was cool and I love table tennis too. Nice site. Anyway welcome to the community. Hope you enjoy your stay for years to come.

9. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I certainly enjoyed watching the video and found it very exciting.

The only concern I would have is where a player gets a bit carried away and dives into one of the table edges by accident. You obviously need to make a bit of money out of accessories so have you considered producing any specific branded safety wear?