What do you think of a tutorials only site?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Thanoz, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello community!
    For some time now i have some thoughts in the back of mind..to build a website(may be blog or a CMS, i am not sure yet) with tutorials only.
    I was thinking to make unix/Linux tutorials which as i have searched a bit, is what a lot of people are looking for.
    However, i have also a thought to "hire" tutorial writers and cover a lot more aspects. I am even thinking of DIY videos.!
    How much would you think i should offer to an author to make a tutorial which will be distributed for free? Should i just urge users to make good tutorials, and then buy them(with resale rights) ?
    Has anyone tried that sort of "bussiness"?if so, please share your experience with me :)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A tutorials site can certainly be successful. A couple of sites I know in this area are the excellent http://www.w3schools.com/ and http://www.good-tutorials.com/.

You can offer to buy tutorials on the major webmaster sites and see what they are being offered for. You will probably have to pay a bit extra for higher quality, unique articles. You will require high quality articles to ensure that your visitors keep coming back and you will need unique articles to maximise your search engine positions, search engines will penalise you for duplicate content.

As your site becomes well known you might find that you can get some articles for free in return for the author placing a link in the article back to their site.

You should probably focus on one particular niche. If your content is too broad in nature it will be harder to attract visitors and to keep them coming back.

3. Slacker

Slacker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes tutorial sites can become very popular these days, and it is not overused as many other niches are, so you could easily get into the field :)

4. sarahFreder

sarahFreder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

more over its very easy to learn in online tutorial site as free of cost and also you can practice it in the site itself like www.w3schools.com to create a professional website.

5. ripified

ripified
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depends on what you are teaching, if you are teaching something common like Photoshop tutorials where it is accessible to everybody on the net, chances that they will compare it with other sides not making your site look good. However, if the tutorials are unique and 'useful' to apply in daily designer life, I am sure it will look good and will boost lots of people

6. lokesh05

lokesh05
    uix_expand uix_collapse

make sure that the tutorials you make available are easily accessible to users and easy to understand by most. how to do this? well, try them out by yourself! :)
    making of video tutorials may be suggested for later period!