What do you think about membership forum?

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by BenjaminCip, Apr 23, 2013.

1. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Fergal and BAF members,

I am back in the business, and decided to become a more active BAF member.

Today, I would like to know your opinion about paid membership forums.

- Are you hesitant to join a paid membership forum?
    - What do you expect from a paid membership forum?
    - Do you think member rank is important?
    - Do you prefer one time payment or monthly payment?

I will take your replies very seriously as I own a membership forum.

Making members pay a one-time symbolic fee for membership can help the forum to improve its quality.
    It will prevent spammers from registering and posting on your forum, it is also proven that when people pay for a service, they are more active and write quality content. That's what I've learnt from my making money online experience.

I don't mind paying for a membership forum if this one offer quality content, free plugins, free ebooks for members, and of course excellent marketing techniques to improve ourself.

Share your opinion about paid membership forum here ;)

2. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Benjamin,

Are you hesitant to join a paid membership forum?

No. Not if there was enough value in it. But I would have to be convinced that it is worth my investment before I would pay.

What do you expect from a paid membership forum?

I would expect a very high level information exchange. If the other members were a lot less experienced than me, I would be disappointed.

Do you think member rank is important?

Undecided about that.

Do you prefer a one time payment or monthly?

I definitely prefer a onetime payment for a number of reasons.

What kind of paid membership forum do you run?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

- Are you hesitant to join a paid membership forum?
    There is so much quality free content on the web, that I can generally find a quality forum without having to pay to join. I paid once to join a support forum for a piece of software, I think it was $10 for one year.

- What do you expect from a paid membership forum?
    Very helpful answers to any questions I post.

- Do you think member rank is important?
    No, I'm not sure that I would even notice it.

- Do you prefer one time payment or monthly payment?
    I'd prefer a low monthly payment than a high one off payment. That way I can cancel my subscription, if the forum is not delivering value for money.

Great to see you back here on BAF BenjaminCip, I hope life is good with you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your reply Ted.

I run a membership forum similar to the warrior forum and digital point.

My aim is to create a solid community, offering premium members everything they need to succeed in the continuous improvement.
    Offering everything other famous forums offers plus some extra that make my membership forum looks special and different from others.

5. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal, thank you for your precious reply.
    It's been a long time since the last time I posted on your forum.
    There are a lot of improvement! And a fast growing community! I'm very proud to belong to BAF.
    Do you still have your banner affiliate program? Did you notice big changes after your review on John Chow dot com?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks BenjaminCip.

We have banners that members can use to promote the forum and members can use a referral ID so that they can get reocgnised for their referrals. Is that what you were referring to?

There was a spike in activity at the time of the review. However, I don't believe that there was any major long term impact after the review. We have grown steadily and gradually over time, I haven't noticed any single event that made a major difference.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, not hesitant to join a paid membership forum or become a paid member on any forum.

The paid forum should be more valuable than the unpaid ones. The type of members contributing, the quality of response and the overall benefit must be justified against the cost of membership.

The rank is not very important. But to some members it is a motivating factor and makes them contribute more and in a better way. I think that is what you are interested in as a forum owner.

Usually a one time payment is good but it depends on the actual amount. For some a monthly payment might be good to try the forum and see. One time payment might make them reluctant to join.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. Thanks Fergal.

Do you think the review on John Chow dot com was useful or a waste of money?

9. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Rocky, Long time no see. Thank you for taking some minutes to reply my questions.

I noticed that paid membership forum entice the members to become more active because they have paid for belonging to the community. They are certain to find like-minded people because spammers will be reluctant to pay and enter a membership forum which give less work to moderators.
    It doesn't mean there won't be any more spammers but it reduce their number considerably because they have paid, and if they don't follow the guidelines, they will be banned no matter they have paid.

In my opinion the rank as well as the group and reputation are very important on a forum. They give information about yourself to other members. I can tell you that some people are not willing to let you review their product unless you have a relevant reputation and you are an active member of the community. I wish I could make people care about the ranking system I've created.

I prefer a one-time payment as recuring payment are quite hight. For some reasons I prefer to charge a one-time fee amount of "$37" instead of "$39.99". Most of the forum thread will be open to members, but premium members who paid will get access to some private thread with more valuable information as marketing techniques etc.

Since I've stopped my first blog, I've spent a lot of time studying. I've learnt quality management, marketing, and bought many make money online information (scam and valuable one). I noticed how easy it can be to make money online, but if you don't do it the right way, you'll get no results.
    I won't talk more about it in this thread because I don't want to be off-topic, but the forum I created take any possible factor into consideration to make it looks different and valuable to other members.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would say that it is useful, but probably not worth the high price he charges for it.

11. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Does it mean you didn't boost your member subscription rate as much as you expected?

You won't recommend me to pay for a review at John Chow Dot Com, will you?

I noticed that you offer paid subscription on your forum. How do you distinguish Premium members from normal one? Do they have a special "Premium Member" badge or anything that make them feel different and make other member understand they've paid for your service?

12. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

as far as I know premium member here in BAF has red colored username so they standout and they can add signatures right after registration. I'm not sure what else though.

13. mariausa

mariausa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As much as I know the paid membership should give us a ranking a better position on the forum community.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I suppose that really depends on the nature of your forum and your budget. Do you think readers of his blog are in your target market?

If you have a decent budget for your site, I'd suggest it's worth a try. If your budget is smaller I'd suggest you spend the money on improving your site and helping your members.

You can view details of what we offer with Premium Membership here.

15. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll buy you a one year Premium Membership once my site is ready to receive members. How much would you charge for a lifetime premium membership? Do you plan to offer Image advertising in your signature like on Warrior Forum?

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Benjamin. We don't sell lifetime premium memberships and sorry no we don't offer image ads in signatures. Obviously once you join the forum, you get free lifetime membership, it's just that we don't sell premium services for a lifetime.

• Like Like x 1
    #16 Fergal, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  17. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Being a life time member is a great deal because its good to be connected with the people for your present and future:)
    one time membership is very bebeficial as it serves with many facilities provided by the forum :)
    at the other end we are connected with each other n with new peoples anyhow through this great forum which enhance our knowledge and provides us the new experiences:)
    i felt the experience after joining baf and so u:)

• Like Like x 2