What do you think about Linux?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by healingforce, Jun 20, 2015.

1. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys, what's your opinion about the Linux operating system? I've been using it quite a while now and I must say that it's becoming more and more interesting for me. It's security from viruses gives me a quite lightheartedness during my browsing and I guess it's something remarkable.

2. deepika007

deepika007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Apart from security reason another main advantage of Linux is that you can change anything in Linux but the only limited factor is your desire to figure out how. Another main feature is you will get free open source library of software with full feature and free replacement for your proprietary software

3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is a great operating system that is developing quite the fan base lately. I think it's a good OS for the more technically minded PC user and for those in the networking industry. I don't believe it will ever replace Windows, even though there are plenty out there that would like to see that happen. For better or worse, Windows is still the more user-friendly and accessible OS for the majority of desktop users.

4. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This might be true but Linux is becoming really user friendly, especially with the Ubuntu distribution as a really wide range of people is trying to get close to the Linux world so I guess in the near future there will be way more Linux OS running than now for sure.

5. Tedel

Tedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do I think about Linux? I think that it is the way to go now. Hackers have proven that iOS spies on its users, and so does Windows, so you have just three options left: BSD, Unix or Linux+GNU software.

That said, Linux should be come the new standard operating in a few years time.

6. ArcSine

ArcSine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Different strokes for different folks. Linux appeals to my inner geek (closer to the metal, and all that) and I do most of my personal "in-house" programming and development in Linux. Lots of great GNU stuff out there when I don't feel like rolling my own. But nearly every client I've ever worked with is on Windows, and understandably so (less geek-y, much more hand-hold-y). The OS with the easiest learning curve (Windows, currently) will always dominate in terms of sheer numbers-in-use, as that simply mirrors the general population's profile (any randomly-selected group of 100 people will contain, say, 4 hard-core nerds).

7. yannis pomonis

yannis pomonis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is a very good and light OS

8. appleannie123

appleannie123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe it is just me. But I cannot really grasp the concept of the Linux OS. I prefer Windows. I have an Android phone because of this. I am thinking of a Windows phone though. I think Apple is over rated.

9. jamesbrownn

jamesbrownn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Id say a linux distro is the ultimate operating system for a minimalist. You have no clutter - you can get rid of anything you don't like. The file system is very organized and not so complicated once you've found your way around it.

10. Stevendavis

Stevendavis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Easy one-click software installation and removal, from secure sources
    - Great hardware support, without having to hunt down drivers
    - A giant world of great software for free, and lots of great commercial software
    - Maintained by an open, global community of first-rate developers and contributors
    - All Linux software is available on the Internet, so you never lose it.

Caterers in Delhi

11. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I really like Ubuntu. It is very easy to use and sort of reminds me of using a MAC. I was surprised that almost every program I needed in the Windows world I could find either the same program or something equivalent. The only problem is that if something breaks good luck fixing it. It's generally much harder and time consuming to fix problems.

12. tieuple

tieuple
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is, in simplest terms, an operating system. It is the software on a computer that enables applications and the computer operator to access the devices on the computer to perform desired functions. But I like windown

13. mishraraj2603

mishraraj2603
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    Linux is, in simplest terms, a complete operating system, including a graphical user interface, an X Window System, TCP/IP, the Emacs editor, and other components usually found in a comprehensive Unix system.

14. Joshua Farrell

Joshua Farrell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't really used Linux that much, but the version I did use, I enjoyed the User Display it had.

15. thedocoffice

thedocoffice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use Linux Mint 17 as my daily desktop computer. It is very "Windows" like. I am rarely disappointed. I have nothing against Windows or Apple. There are things about both of them I like.

Here are some interesting thoughts about Linux:

Everyone Uses Linux ( sort of )
    Things that run Linux:
    • Many Home Routers
    • Many Office Copy Machines
    • Every Android Phone
    Apple is really Linux ( no not really :p )
    At its heart it runs a "*nix" system. So if you are comfortable at the command line on an apple you can easily survive in Linux land.​
    Linux is hard to use - a thought about that
    My realization is that, so are Windows and Apple, in each operating system there are annoyances that we have grown used to a long time ago. If you try out Linux try to compare your "First Experience" with your Windows or Mac "First Experience" hard to do right?​
    Linux is for Computer Nerds
    I put Linux on a Laptop for my kids, they hop on with barely a thought. They are not nerds ( not like me ).​
    And for the nerdy - sudo apt-get install firefox
    Once you get to know the various package/repo based installers you never have to click a download link again.​
    [​IMG]
    Just my two, oops five, cents :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kgord

Kgord
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I must confess I don't know much about Linux other than it is a non windows based system. My son who is a computer professional loves it and uses it on his personal computers. I think it is something that is helpful for those who are looking for a non windows based system. This is this one of the options that you may be looking for as it is useful.

17. PrashantBhurke

PrashantBhurke
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is more secured as compared to windows. Linux is based on command language interface and it has not open back door.

18. rmmfree

rmmfree
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, it's truly remarkable. I recommend it to everyone.

19. stardust confectionery

stardust confectionery
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is an open-source operating system. It is the software on a computer that enables applications and the computer operator to access the devices on the computer to perform desired functions. The operating system (OS) relays instructions from an application to, for instance, the computer's processor. The processor performs the instructed task, then sends the results back to the application via the operating system.

20. Asher ross

Asher ross
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Linux operating system and the Linux machines are not very easy to get infected with virus, but still this does not mean that is should not be protected.