What degrees should one get for this?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by hcted, Jul 24, 2010.

1. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To manage and run a respectable online Web Design Business, what degrees would one need?

My friend runs a very successful one with not much education I think. I have the experience, just not the certificates, which is something you need for such a thing.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You could achieve that without having a degree, however having a degree would give you more credibility and possibly create more opportunities for you. In my opinion the most important thing when deciding on a degree, is to do something that you will really enjoy and that suits your natural skills and talents.

Are you more interested in the graphic side or in coding / programming?

Would a graphic design suit you?

3. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am more into the Web Design/Coding scheme. I really suck at graphic design to be honest, I make a good logo once in a blue moon.

Hmm, interesting.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why do you think you need it when you have experience under your belt? I know it looks good and adds credibility, yes, but experience counts for a lot too! I'd much rather hire someone that had years of experience than someone fresh out of uni with no track record. Don't underestimate the value of your hands-on experience. :)

See if this helps: http://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/web_design.html

5. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You know I have a degree in a completely unrelated field and in all my years of employment (even back in a related field) I have never been asked about qualifications (other than it being a mention on a CV back in the scientific research days where it was valid).

My customers don't care what I have qualifications in and never ask. They don't care who I've worked with and almost never ask. They care about what I can do for them right now and make their judgements based upon that.

I work with lots of people in internet marketing - something you can't get from a degree. I see most of them place blocks in their own path to being successful about needing to know everything, be expert at everything, be able to do everything themselves and what if they want to see examples etc etc. Yet when they let go no client asks.

The big thing is you, your ability, communication, service and sales. You can do it and if you have the experience then go forth and do it. None of the successful IMers I know have a degree in anything. Their business acumen us self taught and built on experience and a commitment to continuous knowledge and improvement.

6. Chester

Chester
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HI Mate

To know webdesign one needs to know basic HtML tags, DHTML,flash ,scripttting languages.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically, you can enroll for a web design course. Here's a school in which I took up the said course: http://www.pennfoster.edu/webdesign/
    But here's the catch, it's kinda hard to do web design if you don't have any graphic design background. Both of them work hand-in-hand. Even though you jsut want to be a coder, it will greatly help you if you know graphic design.

This is my mistake when I took up the course. Now, since graphic design course was removed in our country, I still try to find which school can provide home study on Graphic Design.

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

enroll in adobe web design course and be certified with adobe.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

ownedbox have you been on one of those courses, if you have how was it? Can it be done online?