What counts as Income?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by KKAPADIA, Sep 27, 2014.

1. KKAPADIA

KKAPADIA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If a friend writes you a check for say something as trivial as helping him/her move...does it count as income? Does it depend on the amount? I'm assuming "money" can be transferred as a gift in some cases...what are the rules and restrictions surrounding this topic?

Thank you,
    Keval!

2. Jybrael

Jybrael
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depends on your friend and how he listed it. If he listed it as payment for helping him/her move then it will count as income but if it was listed as a gift then no. That is how I believe it works someone might be able to say otherwise though so don't take my full word for it.

3. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as I know, any money you have acquired via a certain type of service that was rendered is considered an income. Say, you helped your friend do a home improvement and he paid you for the service. Then that money can be considered as an income.

Hope that clarifies it.

Regards,
    Mark

4. bronzetheking

bronzetheking
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depends on your agreement. if he says he'll pay you for helping (service) then it is considered a payment. if not then it's a gift. either way you'll pay tax on both.