What Business Owners Most Need to Know about online marketing

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Tecknowoman, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have to give a talk to business owners next Thursday and am talking about how to successfully market their business online.

I'd love to hear what business owners on the forum feel they would most like to know, or what they found or find the hardest to understand in this area?

Thought I should add that I am planning to break it down into a simple formula of

keywords-> content -> website -> traffic and how the pieces fit together.

I will also be covering Google local business listing, organic listing, content listings and PPC to create page 1 authority and position yourself in front of your customer's eyes. However I would love the help of any business owners or people who consult with them on the biggest mistake they see, the biggest blocks, areas of confusion etc. I really want to make sure I don''t overlook anything. It is important to me to give them the best value content I can and they come from a range of businesses of a variety of sizes.

#1 Tecknowoman, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Tecknowoman do the people you will be speaking to, already have good quality websites? If they don't, you might include some info on the importance of having a professional web presence that reflects positively on their business image, at the beginning of the talk.

In my experience many small businesses are interested in getting some help with establishing a social networking presence for their company. Such as a FaceBook fan page and a Twitter account.

3. TheEntreprenette

TheEntreprenette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are you in a position to record/video this talk as I (and probably many others on this forum) would be interested in hearing about your thoughts on this topic

Regards

Jo

4. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Jo,

I'm not sure on their recording capability at this point (or mine to be sufficiently organised at that time of the morning) but I will be recording practises so will have the info in video for others to see.

As you help businesses start out I'd be really interested to hear what you hear any common questions or issues you see.

Fergal thank for your suggestions- their websites are in a variety of states. I am touching on social media but in Australia my biggest suggestion to the businesses that ask me about social media is to go back, build an online marketing strategy and fix their website as part of that first then when that's all working try introducing social media.

A common mistake that seems to be made here is that businesses are enticed into every new thing as if it will be the magic bullet cure all without knowing why things aren't working currently and therefore not fixing anything. Without a solid foundation and a well thought out strategy their social media tends to go the same failed route.

What experiences do other have??

5. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good talk with useful tips for beginners and business people looking for advice on how to promote their websites, Tecknowoman. I like the way you go right back to basics and ask the audience if they really need a website and then explain to them why they do, by talking about how the younger generation shops and the number of searches completed online.

When giving the talk for real, do you engage with the audience, use their sites as examples and encourage them to ask questions?

7. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal it was for business owners.

I love being asked questions so yes that is and was encouraged because it helps lift the energy in the room and make everyone feel included.

Including their websites depends on the audience - if I have the opportunity and a willing group (especially if it can be organised to have a review of their site beforehand) websites are included.

This was the first time I've given that particular talk and it went really ewll. The audience were fun and although it was one of the coldest mornings, of the coldest weeks, of the coldest months in 30 years (great time to get people to a breakfast meeting in the city!) w had a lot of energy, a lot of interaction and I wish I'd had a video and stand to record. It was much better than the practice.

It was also so well received the organisers had to interrupt questions to end the meeting and let people get to walk.

8. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest these...

+ Short overview/comparison of traditional marketing vis-a-vis online marketing principles
    + Highlight advantages/competitive edge of using online marketing methods for their business
    + Sample case studies (from brick-and-mortar model to online model)
    + Illustrate how-tos -- migration from traditional setup to online setup
    + Share links to useful resources online

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done Tecknowoman, I'm delighted to hear that it went so well for you. I'm sure that you generated some great contacts from doing it.