What are your thoughts on this? Company with negative rep online!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Chris X, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Chris X

Chris X
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have come across a business that many people post bad things about online, including ripping people off for thousands of dollars, but nothing happens and the company still continues years later. Shouldn't I assume that if multiple people make accusations against a company online, yet somehow nothing results from it, it's true?

2. CBI Web

CBI Web
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    BAF Tech Admin
    Premium Member

Almost every company that ever existed has had its naysayers, whether a few or thousands. When I research a business or company, I will hear both sides of the story, but won't let either one sway my decision. It's good to know what both sides think, but in the end I have to do my due diligence and come to a decision based on my own intelligence (and sometimes lack of :p ).

There are companies that do not, IMO, conduct themselves honorably, yet they somehow survive for decades. There are companies that you can trust, but disappear too soon. Why this happens is anyone's guess. It's a bit like having all that crappy music on the radio when there's so much great stuff to be heard; so why won't they play that great stuff? Life is funny that way.

The bottom line is you should only work with a company or individuals who are on the same page as your personal morals and conscience. Often, it doesn't matter what other people say, because people say so many things.

3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would be very cautious of doing business with a company that has multiple complaints from unrelated people (different reviews, different websites, different times and dates). I once bought some product over $1000, after they went defective and I was getting poor service from the company, I found multiple reviews saying the company did not address issues. If I had seen then before buying, I don't think I would have made the purchase.
    Be cautious of serveral poor reviews that seem almost identical and from only one source, these are often from one unhappy customer.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like most things on the internet, I take what's said with a pinch of salt and make up my own mind after investigating them further. It's too easy for a competitor to go on and trash a company or their product under an alias too. As Mountain Man said, it can save you sometimes from buying an inferior product. At the end of the day, you're the only person that can decide how much weight to give anonymous opinions. Just don't for goodness sake take everything you read online as gospel.

CBI Web said it best there!

5. Chris X

Chris X
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm mostly curious as to how multiple unrelated people, many of which aren't customers, claim the company rips several people off for thousands of dollars, and advertises high dollar products that people claim don't exist, yet no one does anything about it, and the owner claims these accusations are false but usually when someone defends the company in the online forums the account gets banned. This company and naysayers have been at odds on online forums for many years and the naysayers seem baffled as to how no one stops them.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What country is the company based in Chris X?

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can you tell us what type of company they are or what services do they render?

8. Chris X

Chris X
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This company is based in the United States and deals with European sports cars, including making superchargers for Audi's.

9. fbl000

fbl000
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Enterprises should have the belief that can go too long

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With all due respect, how do you know these are multiple unrelated people that aren't customers? If they aren't customers, how can they claim that if they haven't had personal experience of it? And the big question is why then would they bother doing so? To me that smells like a competitor trying to simply badmouth another company. If there has never been any action taken against them, the complaints most likely have no foundation.

These people would be complaining in their droves to the Better Business Bureau or have lawyers on it if they had a legitimate gripe. Have you checked to see if there are any complaints lodged against them there or what their rating is at the BBB?

11. Chris X

Chris X
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been checking out several old threads and come across posts like "I know better than to buy from them, they scam people" or whatnot. A quick check with the BBB reveals:

"BBB processed a total of 1 complaint about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 1 complaint closed in 36 months, 0 were closed in the last year.
    These complaints concerned :
    + 1 regarding Delivery Issues

1 - None of the Above - Delivery Complaint Issue

These complaints were closed as:
    + 1 Unpursuable

There are competitors on the forums, but no one questions their claims against this company ripping multiple people off as well as offering products on their website that people dispute even exist but don't want to "waste their money" on trying to purchase anything because of the bad rep.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Chris X are you considering purchasing from the company in question or do you have other reasons from checking up on them, e.g. to help prevent other people from being scammed?

13. Chris X

Chris X
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm just trying to figure out what is truth and what is not, regarding the company...I am not considering a purchase but through a friend I have been checking out hundreds of old threads in Audi forums about them over the past few months, the threads go back to around 10 years ago all the way to this week. Following this online controversy is fascinating.

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I see that you are curious on this. But I;m thinking that you are simply wasting your time knowing the truth regarding this.
    What I mean is, you don't have any business with them, so why spend all of your effort in knowing the truth?

15. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Getting information from the reviews of the website of the company is not a good thing to do because the positive reviews are posted by the company and the negative ones are posted by the competitors the one thing you can do is to check the reputation of the sire given by the different search engines and alexa. This can help you out and secondly you can discuss it in any forums

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's quite frightening to think that a company could be defrauding customers for ten years. If they have been doing that, hopefully they will be brought to justice and stopped in their tracks very soon.

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

May I how how can you check a site's reputation by using Alexa?

18. Chris X

Chris X
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Because it has me very curious, like following an intriguing mystery movie where you have to know what's what. I try to post about this in the online forums where this company is hated, and everyone tries to dismiss me. I posted a link to this thread in that forum and I wish some of the other members would chime in for more perspective...