What are your opinion about cold calling?

Discussion in 'Traditional Offline Marketing' started by catherinejules, Nov 1, 2012.

1. catherinejules

catherinejules
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is your opinion about cold calling? This is in regards to telemarketing.

2. drgbiz

drgbiz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There was a time when telemarketing was very effective, but with the advance in technology and the many new ways of marketing, cold calling and telemarketing is out-dated or is on it's way out.

Although many companies still use telemarketing to promote and sell, and it does still work to some degree, but because so many folks are being contacted by internet and email most people are just not responsive to being contacted over the phone by a stranger.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Eminenz CW

Eminenz CW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't use cold calling unless you have a good idea of what the customers needs and you can offer him something to meet this need.

• Like Like x 1
  4. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cold calling could create lot of legal issue, a common question from receivers how you get my contact? Personally I dont think it is a good strategic, it is high cost, time consuming and low ROI.

5. Justinjude

Justinjude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Once upon a time there was a strategy called cold calling, it grew slowly, reached its peak and now reaching its end. Nowadays, people have started taking cold calls negatively and cracking a deal this way has less chances. Instead, try other forms of marketing like internet marketing, adwords, social media marketing, event marketing etc.

6. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it's done well then it can work well... I attended a course last Friday and one of the key messages was to break from traditional patterns and begin with a very simple proposition to the effective of: "This is a cold call, can you spare me 2 minutes to explain why I have called you and then we can each decide if the discussion is worth taking further" - it seems quite a disarming approach... has anyone else tried something similar? M.

• Like Like x 1
  7. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nowadays this is the spam way to do marketing :D I think nobody knows the mind of the receiver.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I worked in the telemarketing industry some years ago. The company I worked for made outbound marketing calls and handled inbound customer service calls on behalf of our clients. We didn't do any real hard sales work, in that everyone we called had expressed some kind of interest in the product or service we were phoning them about. Personally I don't mind getting those types of calls, i.e. calls about offers that are targeted to me and about things that I have some kind of interest. However, I really don't like getting calls for stuff like offering to install double glazing for me.

That is a very interesting approach Mark and we didn't use anything like that, when I worked in the industry. I do like the concept behind it and would be more than willing to give it a try in the event that I was making outbound telemarketing calls again.

I have some experience in the industry catherinejules and would be very happy to answer any questions you might have or offer any suggestions that I can.

9. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It depends on whether you are talking about B2B or B2C. Personally, I do not accept a cold call from a telemarketer on my personal phone. Because of the preponderance of cell phones, many people are now getting rid of their landline phones. And, because a cell phone now has a contact list, any calls from someone not on your contact list can be ignored, transferred to voice mail, or, with some smart phones, can be transferred with a custom message. This makes it very difficult for a cold caller to get through.
    For B2B, however, I think they expect a certain amount of cold calls, and can decide to accept the call or not based on whether the caller "strikes a nerve" with them.

I mean no disrespect, but if I received a call from someone, and those were the first words out of their mouth, I would immediately say "No" and hang up.

Technically, I don't think that qualifies as a "cold call". If someone expresses an interest in a product, through either a post card sent by "snail mail", or filling out a form at a website or trade show, or by whatever method the company uses, they should expect to be contacted by the company. True, the method of that contact doesn't need to be by phone unless specified when the initial interest is expressed, but they did express interest, so you're not really calling them "cold".

• Like Like x 1
  10. micheal.burns1

micheal.burns1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think cold calling is a great option. More you promote yourself better are your chances for generating leads for your business. And leads what its count for making it a successful one.

11. Mike Brown

Mike Brown
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For B2B, cold calling can still work incredibly well. However, you must have something of value to offer the person you're calling, you must be incredibly proficient at making phone calls and you must get to the point quickly. The main problem with cold calling is not the act in itself but how it's done. In a B2B environment you're not going to make a sale off a cold call however you can use it very effectively to start building a business relationship.