What are you top 5 seo rules?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mtwheeler03, Sep 6, 2012.

1. mtwheeler03

mtwheeler03
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When it comes to seo you have to have some knowledge and some rules to follow if you want to grow an organic business.

(when i say organic i mean natural)

anyway here are my top 5 rules off the top of the head, these are subject to change, everyday is a learning experience and i am always looking to obtain more knowledge and better my tactics.

anyways here we are...

rule 1. make sure you have a few good keywords before you do anything else
    rule 2. don't be afraid to build multiple pages to increase your chances of success
    rule 3. quality is very important (100 high quality links > 100,000 low quality links)
    rule 4. your seo on your website is just as important as offsite
    rule 5. link wheels link pyramids and backlinks are the key as long as they are coming in naturally (high pr, web 2.0, .edu,.gov, social bookmarks to name a few)

now some rules sound like tips but you get my drift

thanks for looking.. i am looking forward to your responses

• Like Like x 1
  2. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like this thread,really they are top five things we need to get our page rank greater.I would also like to add:
    * Original and qualitative content in the website or else SE penalize for it.
    *Activity.

3. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice tricks I also want to share some tips.
    - Change your Anchor text for a single landing page (Keyword vary)
    - Don't optimize the single keyword and landing page.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I would get rid of rule #2 and rule #5. It is not a good idea to build pages just to improve your rankings, and link wheels and pyramids, and similar link schemes, are a violation of Google's Webmaster Guidelines, no matter how many people try to convince others that there is a "right"way to build them, so Google can't figure out what you're doing. Google will figure out what you are doing, it just might not be today.

I would put the rules this way:

1. Make sure you research your keywords thoroughly before doing anything else
    2. Do your On-Site Optimization before Off-Site - but be careful not to over-optimize.
    3. Quality content is better than content for it's own sake - make it interesting and informative.
    4. Quality Links are better than quantity.
    5. Don't be tempted to cheat to get quick results because " I heard somebody say it worked for them".
    Rather than letting others drag you down with them, do things the right way, and the results will come.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bwendo

Bwendo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was embarrassed when I actually did some thorough research and discovered what my paying clients keywords were.

I read Keyword Intelligence by Ron Jones and it opened my eyes to the topic in a completely different perspective.

6. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I like joeroxx list, but I would add "build links steadily and continuously" (OK, I can count; I know that is 6 items). Don't create a bunch of links and then wait 6 months and do it again. Natural link building would occur spread out over time and that is how your own link building should be, too.

7. Catherine

Catherine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. the most important is to havea well designed website structure. and then you can attract more people and bring great traffic.
    2. have more original articles with good qualitified backlinks
    3. god way to optimize websites
    4. a smart webmaster to manage websites
    5. effective tools for help.

8. mtwheeler03

mtwheeler03
    uix_expand uix_collapse

greats replies everyone i'm loving the feedback so far keep it coming!

9. kennyschwimmer

kennyschwimmer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice thread. Can you also put down some tips on social media optimization?

10. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After penguin update I never use above rules, because link building strategic is getting dead. The new working rules would be:

1. Build interesting content, always content first regardless of any situation. Content is not limited to text, it can be a video (PSY gangnam style is build a very success content campaign). A good content can attract many natural link, infographic is a smart strategic.

2. study open graph and schema, because that is standard markup use by major search engine and social media.

3. Focus on social media optimization, visitor are human being; readership interaction is a must.

4. Analysis traffic report, implement the right campaign to fulfill user need.

11. Curiousity

Curiousity
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agreed with what your correct on No.2 and No.5.
    My father's company encounter such situation which been black list by Google due to SEO company (Simple Internet Communication S/B) suggest for "Quick result".
    So be careful to choose a "honest" company instead of cheap cost.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I have also heard people say that SEO is dead, because of the rising influence of Social Media. Unfortunately, both ideas are wrong. SEO is not dead, and neither is link building. SEO is always changing ,and is not the same as it was 5 years, 3 years, or even 1 year ago. Because of the rising influence of Social Media, it should be incorporated into any SEO efforts, but that does not mean SEO is dead. Link building has also changed, and techniques that may have worked in the past, possibly even the recent past, will not work anymore. Quality has always been more important than quantity, but is now even more important since the update you mentioned. That does not mean, however, that link building is dead.

13. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah I agree with the post. SEO is not dead SEO keeps on changing. SMO can bring traffic to your site but for ranking still SEO is important

14. synconlinemedia

synconlinemedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No way SEO is dead! Focus on the four pillars of today's SEO and you will rank: on-site SEO, Off-site SEO, Social Media and content development. Optimizing and integrate these four areas based on your keyword set and you will rank for sure. It is imperative to good SEO. Also, don't buy links, don't spam and don't rip off content. If you want to rip content be sure to give kudos to the author (be a curator). Get links from quality, relevant sites. Work on legitimate citations. Post original content regularly. We do all this and more for all our clients monthly!

15. Owen

Owen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My Keys to Successful SEO:

* Industry Related & Traffic Generating Keywords - 100% of your ROI Depends on choosing right keywords.
    * Site Structure and Technical Side of your site - This is what you call it as Optimization. (you almost done 75% of SEO here)
    * Quality Content
    * Natural & High Quality Backlinks. - This is where the remaining 25% of your SEO.

If you complete these steps with least imperfection, you will be on top within 60-90 Days for Sure.