What are kids leaving school these days supposed to do?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by nbshopper, Mar 3, 2010.

1. nbshopper

nbshopper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I left school a little while ago, and managed to get some experience/money behind me before all this 'global recession' thing hit. But I have younger relatives who left school just a few months ago and have found it very hard to find any kind of decent employment. Interestingly both are excellent students academically.

I worry that a whole generation of kids, leaving school at the moment are going to have a very tough time finding their way in the world, while those house-boomers who have benefitted from vast house price rises will be further propelled up the housing ladder.

It just seems unfair. What do people here think young people should do who are leaving school at the moment? Are there any jobs out there for newbies? I read something the other day which suggested that people might even have to start paying for the chance for work experience!

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Leaving school is really a bad thing to do. It's a good thing that your parents give you an opportunity to study on a good school. What's your point on dropping out?

You will definitely regret sometime in your life that you haven't continued your studies. Studying is one of the best thing that will happen in your life. Even though I have finished 2 courses, I still want to study and I always reminiscence the time that I'm still in high school.

It's definitely hard today in finding a job if you haven't finished your studies.

Opportunity is in your hand, grab it and don't let it get away.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good to see you back here nbshopper. I share your concerns regarding young people leaving school at the moment. Like many other countries it is very difficult for school leavers to secure employment in Ireland at the moment. The statistics for unemployment in the under 25's are frighteningly high.

One option is for them to pursue further eduction and up-skill themselves. People with a third level education generally have more opportunities in the job market and hopefully the economy will be much improved by the time they graduate.

For those not interested in further education they could consider self employment. There are lots of businesses that can be set up with very little start up funding. The experience gained from running your their business will also stand to them, regardless of what they do in future lives. School leavers generally don't have huge financial commitments such as mortgages and children to care for. Hence, it is actually a great time to start a business, because they can survive on a low income, while you are growing the business.

It's difficult to stay positive during a recession, but it has probably never been so important, school leavers need to be positive, optimistic and to keep on pushing for a better future.

4. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally I look at it from the other point of view: what do youngster who leave school nowadays have to offer employers? There are too many soft subjects at school now that basically free passes. "When I were a lad" you didn't get choices of hundreds of courses that you could do, you got told what you would study and only if you were good enough at those did you get to do others higher courses.

I never got the chance to do work experience, but what I did have was the drive to do anything to earn cash. I went around to every shop in the town I used to live and said that I was willing to work for just a few hours if that is what they wanted.

There will always be jobs available, it may not be what people want to do for a long time, but it is there if you look hard enough (obviously it differs by country). Simple things such as going around to local businesses and asking if they have a need to have any leaflets / flyers delivered in the local area as this can be done cheaper than sending by the postal service.

School leavers have one thing over other unemployed people and that should be enthusiam. They need to show it.. They need to be prepared to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty and work hard for a living. You cannot expect things to be handed to you on a plate nowadays. Unfortunately it is a hard truth and many good people will struggle to find employment because they will not have the ability to lower their standards and take a job on minimum wage for a couple of years.

5. iketz0

iketz0
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's really hard to choose if you can see some opportunities out there but you need to leave your school. I think you need think a lot of times before you decide.

6. isobel84

isobel84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with SeanStevens. Despite having experienced first-hand how hard it is to look for work these days - I graduated from Oxford in the summer - I really think it's a combination of enthusiasm and persistence which will eventually pay off.

7. nbshopper

nbshopper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah I agree that enthusiasm and a bit of common sense and hard work are what it takes, now more than ever before.

I also agree that continuing education is a great thing, but it's also becoming increasing expensive and competitive these days, with university fees rising and entry requirements getting higher. I keep reading how university admissions are going up...

I think apprenticeships are certainly a good approach, people need to have genuinely useful skills which can be marketed and sold.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can find other alternative schools that offer the courses that you like. Finding an alternative will help you budget things tightly. Or if you can, there are cheap yet good home study courses that lets you choose a course that you like to prepare you in your dream job.

9. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very well said, Sean. ENTHUSIASM is the keyword here :)

We were all obliged and have the rights to attend a formal education (basically attending school education) even at our younger age which established and molded us as humans however there's so much to learn outside world, usually great things which we never learned from schools and/or textbooks.

It's kind of unfortunate for some who cannot even afford to get some formal education because of their shortcomings.

#9 gtt, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum isobel84, good luck with your career.

11. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Because my dad has his own business, there would probably be an opportunity for me there but I agree, there was probably a lot more jobs 20/30 years ago because machinery hadn't become a massive thing but now there is, people are no longer needed.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There are opportunities now that weren't around 20 - 30 years ago. People can set up their own website or freelancing business nowadays, without requiring a huge investment. Other advances in technology and telecommunications bring more opportunities to work at home. It was more difficult to set up a business 30 years ago, set-up costs were much higher, relative to average income and more people were forced into employment.

A few months back, I saw a photo taken of my Grandmother (RIP) in her school days. At the time I saw the photo, the news was telling us that this was the worst recession we had ever experienced in Ireland. Well my Grandmother and her friends were in their bare feet in the photo, they didn't own shoes. We've come a long way from that and even though times are difficult now, there are lots of positives if we open our mind to them.

13. nbshopper

nbshopper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry I just don't agree with this at all, I think the variety of jobs have certainly changed. Perhaps people need to be a little more proactive in thinking up new ways of making money - I.e. Internet entrepreneur, but the opportunities certainly exist for those hungry enough to go and look for them.

14. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been there before. I choose employment and education both at the same time. It's all about being persistent and living with inspirations and dreams.

15. kittelsoncarpo

kittelsoncarpo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

boi registration philippines

Education is important because it gives us knowledge of the world around us, and it serves an "armor". So for me, education must priorities and provide by every parent to his/her child.

16. mandi

mandi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is one of the worst decision's that can ruin their future,even educated people's are hard to find job these days,So if they can't complete even school's it would be really bad for them and also to the country....

17. anselduminy

anselduminy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The time has changed alot and with the time kids have also changed they are much more sharper and hardworking but their mindset has also chnaged alot.; they want to be rich in no time and therefore they want to start earning as soon as possible. But its important that they should have very good knowledge and qualifications. So i think they should gain the eduaction first and then start thinking about the business and profession they want to be in.

18. flora

flora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i agree to the importance of education.. But sometimes there are students who prefer quit schooling to find a job outside ..
    the common reason they gave is that they are the one sustent themselves so better to work first before continue studying.. this reason is commonly heard from a financially-lack students who also support the needs of their families ( breadwinner son/daughter) ..

19. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Working before studying is always the reason why they do that.
    But later in their life, most of them fails to continue studying and regrets that they would've studied first before working.

20. robincarteruk

robincarteruk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi...

Everyone don't be upset now scholarisintl presents Learning Management System. you can learn many things just by sitting at home or even if when you are at work.