Wedding Videographer

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Tazbo, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Tazbo

Tazbo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I am a part time wedding videographer. After a long search I have found a shooter with similar camera experience to me and would like to work with me. He does not currently shoot weddings so I want to tie him into a contract where he can only shoot weddings with. Can this be done and what is the best way to approach it? Do I need to start a company and make him an employee or are there other ways?

Thanks

2. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Tazbo,

Welcome to BAF. What country are you based in?

3. Tazbo

Tazbo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

England :)

4. gmichel

gmichel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi,

that is difficult task, I do not think a contract would do.
    A partnership would be the only thing, I think, that would work.
    If you have the same experience, combined together, you can make more business.

I hoe this helps.

Michel

5. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm not a UK lawyer, so I stand ready to be corrected, but exclusive contracts are fairly common throughout the world. I would be surprised to find that you couldn't hire an independent contractor in a particular area conditioned upon his agreement that he would exclusively provide a particular type of service to you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think your two options would be to start a company or start a partnership. Of course, the company cannot just be formed from out of the dust and will need a lot of work before developing, but it still stands as an option. Starting a partnership with whoever approached you could also be a good decision depending on how much experience and skill he/she has. Signing him to a contract without a company will be a little off, but I don't think there is much harm in it if you can afford it.

7. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One question, do you have other candidate as backup? What make you must use his services? In business we cant relied on one hero to run a business.

Problem:
    1. Hiring him as employee can only tied him for maximum 3-6 months; if he ask a high salary how?. Secondly setup a company require some company, perhaps start with SOHO.
    2. Invite him become a partner could be involves lot of term and condition issue.

He seem like not willing to tie with a contract, so he choose to be a freelancer. Simply offer can make the situation worst, it is advise to understand his need and family background.

One of the soft strategic you can go, assign more part time job to him. If he happy to work with you, he willing to take more project; then finally you can make offer. If he reject it, then you must grab the remaining time to find backup.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should start with a simple partnership yet and try to work with each other at ease. Well, if you push yourselves right away into a contract then that might become a drawback for both of you.
    Maybe you should ask him first if he/she is really interested on becoming a wedding videographer and wants to learn more from you on doing it.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have some samples of your work uploaded online?

10. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Tazbo,

Firstly, welcome to Business Advice Forum. Now, the best thing you can do in your case would be to do a partnership with that person. That is because you cannot just make an contract with him without that nor you can start out a company suddenly. Though, if you're looking to grow your business in future then I'd suggest you to start a company now and hire that person as an employee. Then in future whenever you feel to expand you can hire more person like that and in that way you can easily grow up your business to a greater extent.

But, if you just want to focus on this thing and don't wish to start a company then as I suggested above the best for you would be make partnership with him. But, make sure that you make your terms clear while doing partnership and along with that I'd suggest you to completely check the background of the person you're doing partnership with.

Also, I've got a question for you. You mentioned that the person would like to work with you so is it that the person came to you with the offer or you've approached him first?

Anyway, good luck and do keep us updated with what decision you take.

Sahil

• Like Like x 1