Website work

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by stevo2393, May 8, 2008.

1. stevo2393

stevo2393
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey everyone I am thinking about making a website in the near future. I was just wondering to make a successful website how many hours will i need to put into after it up and running. If you can tell me an estimate that be great thanks.

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess this all depends on what kind of website you're going to launch stevo2393. If it's a blog or a website on technology, then expect to put in a lot of hours because you need to keep it updated every time.

Anyway, the most important thing for you to remember is that building a website is not a one-shot deal (or putting all your eggs into one basket). You should always keep it updated with the latest news, information and items. If you're not consistently adding content, looking for new updates and enhancing your product offerings, your business (in this case your website) will stagnate and your profits will most likely stall.

3. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If You never made any website before, I recommend You to invest some days in learning basic HTML.

You could start out with a blog about a topic that interests You. (No, we don't need another how-to-make-money-online-blog). Maybe start with a personal blog about a hobby or Your job. Then You will get some basic ideas about how the online world works. My personal blog (see signature) is not about a topic for everyone, therefore my readership is rather small, but I learned so many things that I can apply to other websites in the future.

In the beginning You need quite some time to get an initial design and everything working. Later on it's quite relaxing to have a blog.
    One piece of advice: Don't give up Your regular career plans if You never made any websites before. Get it started slowly as a side spin.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The length of time that it will take for you to get your website up and running will depend on the complexity of the site you want to build and your own skills and abilities. Hurbel makes some excellent suggestions and as he says you could get a blog up and running very quickly. You could host the blog on your own domain or use a service like Blogger or Wordpress.com.

If you provide us with a little more info on the type of website you want to build we will be able to provide you with more specific and helpful answers.

5. archgames

archgames
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it is a regularly updated site like a blog or arcade site etc it will take time but mostly will worth it!

If it is a monthly or weekly updated site then starting would take some time but once you get into bussiness it will take less time!

6. stevo2393

stevo2393
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Altight thanks everybody for the help

7. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Planning and preparing before you do anything.

Then research and funding.

Then build, and work your ass off.

The more you work, the better you will become. :)

8. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, If you are making a website. Just don't make your mind that working few hours will make it successful. It will take enough hours or more depending on the type of website which you are running. If it's something nice - Just don't think, just do it.

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I do think that the very popular maxim "Time is Money" is also very much applicable in building a successful website. In this case, the more time you spend polishing and upgrading your website, the more successful your website will be. If in the other case you just left your website like that without any updates, your website will stagnate and people will become bored and stop visiting your site.

10. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Nazreen, The more time you spend on updating your website, the more popular it will be. People want to see new stuffs and informations. If you work sparing some of your time on your website on new contents and informations, then you will get more visitors. The sites which rarely get updated have less visitors and not only this they lose their visitors. So, you should upgrade your website as much as you can with new contents.

Anyways, If it's something nice then just don't think if i should do it or not. Don't be in controversy, Just do it. Good works are always appreciated.

11. chica

chica
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally just to get the website up and running, I spent at least 40 hours a week for the first month then about 20-30 for the rest of the year.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi chica, welcome to Business Advice Forum, thanks for joining and for participating. When you say 20-30 hours per week, is that on a few sites or on just one site?

13. JPolito830

JPolito830
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dropping from 40 to 20-30 hours is a good decrease. You must be doing well now!

14. ritajones56

ritajones56
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is some major progress, keep at it and you could likely decrease it even more!