Website Tax Question

Discussion in 'Accounting and Taxes' started by Joeychgo, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Joeychgo

Joeychgo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I currently own a number of websites and am profitable...

I am curious about deducting certaing expenses related to developing content.

If, for example, I started a travel web site.... And to provide content for the site, I traveled. Would I be able to deduct the costs of that travel?

Say I took a 7 day cruise. Reviewed the restaurants and food, onboard activites, and ports of call on this travel website I have created.... Could I then deduct the costs of the cruise as a business expense?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Your tax situation will depend on where your business is based and registered, is that something you can tell us?

3. Joeychgo

Joeychgo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Im in the USA -- Chicago area

4. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you actually registered the site as a business and are making more than $600 in revenue then you are allowed(you actually have to) claim it and those trips would indeed be tax deductible.

5. MoneyTrack

MoneyTrack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest finding a CPA that specializes in dealing with the IRS. In the Chicago area you will easily be able to find one that you can consult with for a small fee, or maybe even free. They will offer limited advice in hopes of developing a relationship with you.