Website statistics - Google analytics?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by mybusinez.com, Oct 23, 2009.

1. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wasn't really sure where to post this but I just wanted to ask has anyone used Google analytics and what do they think about it?

Personally I'm very up in the air. There are some good features but the statistics don't seem to reflect what goes on on my website. Not only that but I've been using another website statistics package and I would trust it a lot more. I recently compared my website tracking on Google Analytics and my own package and both packages are completely different. I don't understand it. The stats on Google analytics just doesn't make sense.

For instance, There was one day where 3 unique users registered and created pages (records in the database). Yet Google Analytics states that only 1 person visited the site that day! My own package shows a lot more. I've notice other instances like this. I just don't really trust it.

Other issues I would have with it is the fact that it's not real-time tracking and you have to wait until the following day before you can analyse your website visitors. You can't identify each visitor, it's just a general overview. Also you can't customize it.

Good points is that you don't have to pay for hosting your stats database (although you don't own it), you can create good reports and export them as different files (but if they're not accurate what good are they?) only problem is you can't export them as a database file. But there are good and bad points. I suppose as a web developer I'd expect more from a stats package.

What do you guys think? Have you used it?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've used Google Analytics and to be honest I don't fully trust the stats it shows either. Oddly enough I thought that was just me until I read your post, so many other other webmasters have great praise for it.

Don't forget about the Irish owned stats service StatCounter, which is extremely popular and very reliable. Please let us know what you decide to go with.

3. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting. That's the exact same impression I had recently when checking one of my websites' stats. While Google Analytics showed an average of 7 visitors/day, the servers data showed 11.

4. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't mind Google Analytics but have you also considered things like Crazy egg, clicktale, webalizer, ad server, and awstats etc?

5. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use ASP stats generator. By far the best tracking system I've used in my 13 years of web design and development.The best thing about it is that as a developer I can customize it to show exactly what I want. I was thinking of developing my own stats package also. Just have to make sure there's a market for it though.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There is a market but competing with the likes of Google and StatCounter is not going to be easy. You will need something unique and special to encourage webmasters to use your service.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been using Google Analytics for my blog but I rarely visit the site to check for my blog's stats since they are not really up-to-date. Maybe 2 days behind.
    The current one I am using which is Histats, their service is good and they are up-to-date on their stats.