Website SEO or social media marketing?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Buzzworthy, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzzworthy

Buzzworthy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For your particular industry/business, which do you think is more effective for marketing; website optimization or social media?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

In most cases, it doesn't really matter. Social media, to increase brand awareness, should be a part of any SEO campaign anyway. There are very few businesses whose customers do not search for them on the search engines. If you are talking about only website optimization, and not a comprehensive SEO campaign, the question is not a valid one. Website optimization by itself does nothing without a comprehensive marketing campaign, including SEO and social media, to back it up.

3. Buzzworthy

Buzzworthy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

By website optimization I meant focusing on improving the website search engine rank through specific keywords, Google Ads etc. I know of some small businesses who seem to prioritize this over social media presence and vice versa, and thought it would make sense that this decision be based on target audience/industry. Was just curious to see what other people thought!

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

What do you mean by " improving the website search engine rank through specific keywords, Google Ads etc."? By doing what? SEO includes a lot of activities, including social media, in which keywords can be used, not just on-page optimization.

One cannot be prioritized over another, as both are needed to properly market a website. How would the decision to use one over the other be based on target audience/industry?

So am I. there are a lot of people on this forum who think they are doing SEO. I'm almost afraid to see what they think.

5. somyasharma

somyasharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Website Optimization in term of SEO Campaign have great impact. Because, Website Optimization is mandatory field, if your website is not optimized in right manner for search engine, then SMO nothing to worth. You required to optimize your website for Search Engine at first. It is really matter for Search Engine.

6. Samuelsemos

Samuelsemos
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Both are essential to the business I mean to say SEO or SMO both are important. SEO improve your website visibility on SERP due to that your site gets huge hit of traffic. SMO also is very much important as I said earlier that it increase the brand awareness, which is good for the business.

7. Tedel

Tedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From my point of view, "social media marketing" is basically a hype. Most people do not really interact with the companies they "follow", "like" or "+1". Most of the time, they hit and forget. Besides, only large brands and entertainment products and services do reasonably well on social media sites. More "serious" businesses don't often get more than 500 followers.

SEO, on the other hand, is harder but it gives better results in sales figures. Why? Because people don't use a search engine to try to find something they don't want to see. Would you search for cocktail recipes when you want to find seafood recipes? No, you would not. If they are looking for it, it is because they want to see it; and if you are there when they want to find you, then it is you who gets the clicks.

SEO is better than social media.

8. petersen

petersen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to Recent google algo update, Social signal is most effective to increase organic search value. Most of company doing SMM when they start to doing SEO. Because SEO is more effective then SMM but in google view SMM is need with SEO. SEO give direct leads then smm.

9. Buzzworthy

Buzzworthy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes but for the sake of this thread's subject, I am referring to SEO that does not integrate social media. By this I mean including specific words in your website content, using Google campaign to advertise your website - basically any attempts to improve your website's search rank without resorting to social media.

Yes I fully agree with you - but as I have found with the businesses I referred to and as some other posters on this thread have mentioned, certain companies may sometimes focus more on either. In this instance, just for example, perhaps brands with younger clientele would choose to focus on social media presence/campaigns, or, as Tedel said, maybe more "serious" businesses (e.g. banking, insurance) would prioritize their website more.

Either way - I myself agree that both SEO and SMM are very important and have a symbiotic relationship. I just started this thread to establish the reasons behind why some businesses may choose to spend more time on one over the other. Though judging on the majority of responses, it seems that most posters on this thread recognize the need for both!

10. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

My concern was that you appeared to be equating the terms "website SEO" and "website optimization". In other words, improving the website itself, without any other marketing at all. I am also concerned about you including Google Ads as a way of improving a website's position in the SERPs. Although having a PPC ad(and helping Google make money) may be a factor, the point of being highly ranked is still to provide the most relevant information for the searcher's query, so having a heavy reliance Google Ads may not help as much as people think. And finally, I am concerned about your use of the phrase "any attempts to improve your website's search rank". In a previous post. I mentioned people who think they are doing SEO. Whether on purpose or because they don't know any better, some people are using and/or recommending techniques that at best cannot help their rankings, and at worst can actually can get them banned. That's why I wanted you to be as specific as possible about what you mean by "website optimization" or "website SEO".

11. Buzzworthy

Buzzworthy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I intended my post to be more straightforward than it came across to you, so apologies for that! I was more seeking to see did any business owners prioritize either their website or their social media presence, and if so, why that might be.

12. Ethan2

Ethan2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on a lot of factors such as which product you sell? who is your customer? where are your customers in?
    Answer these questions, you can find out the best solution for your site.

13. Buzzworthy

Buzzworthy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes Ethan, that is the discussion I was interested in having. I'm not directly looking for advice, just curious to see what/if any factors affected other businesses' decision to choose between the two. Your mention of product type and customers backs-up my guess that some people may be guided by their industry or audience.

Anyway, it's been interesting to see people's varying opinions on the subject!

14. adwaitk007

adwaitk007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You simple can't ignore any one of them! SEO drives quality search engine traffic. And social media drives highly targeted traffic! So for better business both are equally important

15. melisalissa05

melisalissa05
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Matt Cutts the head of spam for google said in a video few weeks ago that google does not use any signals from Facebook or Twitter - Pinterest links are all no follow - No matter how optimized images are they will be of no use for on page SEO if they are neither spidered nor indexed - how would you respond to these 2 issues

16. tanishajain

tanishajain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all it depends on budget that how much you are going to invest in Online Marketing for your business.

17. James4

James4
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think SEO and social Media both are two different terms. And both are marketing important assets. But you can't depend only on social media. Website optimization is necessary in many view of points. Like if your site is not well designed, has not consist useful information then I think your social media campaign does not drive you more sale. So, SEO is important.

18. Samuelsemos

Samuelsemos
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From my points of view social media is just used for the brand awareness of the products, brands or services, but search engine optimization is used for the particular website to bring the keywords on the top rank of the SERP. Both are important for the business.

19. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This thread is now closed. If you have something new to add PM me and I'll re-open it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.