Website Promotion/Marketting Tips?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Mikey, May 9, 2011.

1. Mikey

Mikey
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Designer

Hi all,

Well, I've been so busy actually CODING my new website that the only promotion I've been able to do is to tweet it a few times, and post on a few forums about it. The site is 30 Day Challenges (review or suggest things for the actual site here: http://www.businessadviceforum.com/showthread.php/18868-30-Day-Challenges)

I've also bought some text link ads on some forums, all different niches as my new site is more of a "one size fits all", ie, it's suitable for everyone ! :)

Anyway guys, I need some tips, how would you (if you were me) promote my new site?

Thanks all!

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Tweeting it "a few times" is a start, but to really promote the site, you need a marketing strategy, using social media. Have you tried setting up a Facebook page? For a site like yours, Facebook is a better fit than Twitter, because as you gain "friends", they can spread the word about your site to their "friends", who would then spread the word to their "friends, and so on. They would also be able to post their experiences to your "wall".
    If you have the budget, you can hire someone to market the site for you. They would discuss your goals with you, and then set up a marketing program with various sites to reach that goal, in a way you may not be able to do yourself.

3. Mikey

Mikey
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Designer

Facebook is a good idea, thanks! :cool:

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I also like the FaceBook idea as it could get people involved and chatting about your site. We previously had a "Your Goals" forum section here on BAF where members could post their goals and get help and suggestions from others on how to achieve them, we have since integrated it into our Personal Success & Effectiveness forum section. Perhaps you could find other forums that encourage their members to share their goals and promote your site in your sig on those.

Other good places to promote it would be on life hack / Zen blogs, such as;
    http://zenhabits.net
    http://lifehacker.com/
    http://www.lifehack.org/

Adding Digg, Tweet and FaceBook buttons to individual challenges would also help, as it would encourage your users to share their challenges with their friends and contacts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Mikey.

Mentioning about Social Media Network/Marketing trends - we know that it's one of the best campaigns to invest our time promoting our website so let's go with the flow.

Putting up quality and fresh contents on your site is still the leading strategy. You may include in your process some of the effective methods of Off-Page optimization (Directory Submissions, Press Release Submissions, Blog and Article Submissions, Video Submissions, Social Bookmarking Submissions, RSS Submissions, Relevant Forum/Web 2.0 Profile Backlinking & Indexing)

We also know that these aren't overnight process so it takes a lot of patience and hardwork.

Good luck to you!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yanni

Yanni
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All this website needs is some social media. this could be huge! buy promoted tweets on twitter -> give the hash tag #30daychallenge

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mikey

Mikey
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Designer

Forum signatures on relevant sites, an excellent suggestion! As for LifeHacker and those type of sites, I am painfully aware that the site is very much a "version 1 point oh" .. I have a few more features which I think are ESSENTIAL (such as Notifications, as a user of the site I'm sure you already are finding it frustrating that there is (currently) no way to know when your challenge has a new note, when you get a new profile note, etcetera) before I submit the site to LifeHacker and the other 'Zen' sites.

The Social Media buttons on each challenge is also a good idea, I will see if I can integrate that, I already have it set up so you can press a "Share" button on any challenge and it will drop down a list of things to share on, maybe I should make that more obvious?

Thanks!
    Great suggestion! Do you know how I would buy a promoted tweet on twitter? How much do you think it would cost me? I am in some respects a 'startup' with this site, but I do not have the financial backing that some of these startups have, that you always hear about so that one might be for the future. Nevertheless it's an awesome suggestion and it's gone on my todo list :)

8. ecombiz1

ecombiz1
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

at first try to do directory submission, article submission and forum posting. By this you generate free backlinks for your website. Which is helps to your website promotion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mikey

Mikey
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Designer

Thanks! I'll look through some lists of Directories I can submit to. Should I be looking for ones which are more relevant to my niche do you think? Or is PageRank more important?

10. Christabell36

Christabell36
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my point of view Social Bookmarking,Link submission,Backlinking by blog commenting,Bcaklinking by forum posting,article submission,directory submission are the best ways to promote your website and increase the traffic on website...!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

We have a similar "Share" link in green at the top of every thread here on Business Advice Forum. We've already had some comment from our members that they don't normally notice it and hence don't use it. Perhaps we both need to look at ways of improving the prominence of our social networking buttons.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mikey

Mikey
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Designer

It's possible that I should just make it like the Wordpress "Share-a-holic", where it shows the icons without user interaction needed. (In action here: http://mikeylicio.us/random/super-secret-project-launch-739)

I see this in action on a lot of the popular blogs, Share-a-holic is quite popular, might be a winning formula for both of us :)

Another thing I personally could do (but not possibly viable for BAF as it is a forum) is something like Mashable.com used to have, where the social networking icons used to follow you as you scrolled down the page, that was a nice feature.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dod Niche

Dod Niche
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mikey

Submit your site to the Major Directories. Make sure you have submitted your web site to the big search engines and directories. Most of your traffic will be generated from these search engines. Keep checking to see if your web site is indexed. Dmoz, Direct Hit and Inktomi seem to be gaining a lot of importance so make sure that you are listed in these sites. Their results are used by a number of other important search engines.

There is a lot of free or non-free directories on the net. From the homepage of a directory take your time and find the appropriate category your site fits into. You can do a keyword search using your most important keywords or key phrases and note the category that lists these sites. That will probably be the best category for your site. You may also have multiple categories, in which case you must submit under all the suitable categories.

Once you have found a suitable category, look out for a "Suggest a site" or an "Add URL" link. Click on this link to submit your site.

Before rushing off to submit your site, carefully read their suggestions on how to submit. They REALLY mean it. Follow their instructions to the absolute letter.

Since Directories do not use robots, everything indexed into a directory is done by people. No META tags, ALT image tags, HTML comments or image maps will help your performance here. Your best bet is to describe your site accurately and the final decision of adding your web site to a directory's database rests with the editor who reviews your web site. Best of luck!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestion Mikey, I honestly hadn't heard of Share-a-holic before, so will look into that and consider implementing it here on BAF.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ken Peterson

Ken Peterson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Below are some great FREE tips you can use to help promote your online business without going broke.
    1) Make sure your Web site is optimized for the search engines
    2) Send out E-Mail Newsletters
    3) E-Mail Discussion Groups, Forums, and Chat Rooms
    4) Put Your URL Everywhere
    5) Signature Files
    6) News/Press Releases
    7) FREE STUFF!
    8) Reward Existing Customer
    9) Know your Visitors
    10) Update Content/Products