Website Legal Documentation

Discussion in 'Legal and HR' started by imthedudeman, Jun 6, 2011.

1. imthedudeman

imthedudeman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, I am creating a personal finance blog that I will use to market spreadsheets/software/other digital product. I'm trying to find out exactly what kind of legal documentation I need to have for the site. I believe I need a site Privacy Policy, Disclosure, and Terms of Use. Is Terms of Use the same as the Disclaimer? I wasn't sure if a Disclaimer is another document I would need.

Is there a reliable service that can generate all required documents for free online? I have found several generators, but no single site that does it all for you.

Also, is there anything special you have to do to copyright your website and its content besides:

Copyright <my-site-name> / <my-business-name>

NOTE: my site name is different from my business' name, what is the appropriate format for this? Also, do you have to list a year? I would like to avoid having to manually update that every year if possible. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Great to see you here imthedudeman, thanks for joining and posting. You say that you will be using the blog "to market spreadsheets/software/other digital product", will those be products that you create yourself or will you be promoting products created by other people / businesses?

I'd recommend that you have a look at the ShoeMoney video on legally protecting your website. You might have to register to view it, but the video itself is free and includes some very helpful info - there is no requirement for you to give any payment details or to purchase anything.

I would say that the most important info you will need is a disclaimer. The Business Advice Forum disclaimer could be a useful guide for you in writing up your own, but please remember that our disclaimer also applies to the disclaimer :)

You could include both your business name and website name in your copyright notice and the format that you have given for it looks the same as those on major corporation websites so it should also be fine for you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. imthedudeman

imthedudeman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for that information. The initial products offered will be created by me. I hope to eventually expand and offer third party products as well. There will be ads on the site for traffic revenue however. Are there any special considerations I need to make in the legal documentation if my site has ads?

So the link above did not load a video. I signed up for the site and was redirected to a link selling me some dude's get rich quick scheme. I didn't see any options to view the video. Do you have another URL direct to the video?

You said the most important info is the disclaimer, can you confirm if that is the same as the Terms of Use? Also, why do some sites list a year with their copyright notice and others do not? Thanks!

4. karoshio

karoshio
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never really see any websites that don't have a date in their copyright. Really all it does it show everyone viewing the website how long it has been what it is such as when its says 'Copyright symbol' 'website/ company name 2005-2011 or something a long them lines.

Also have a read of this, seems a lot easier them explaining about the difference of terms of use/terms and conceptions/disclaimers, etc

http://goarticles.com/article/The-Difference-Between-T-Cs-Terms-of-Use-Disclaimers/1388862/

Unsure if thats exactly what you wanted but hopefully it can clear a few things up for you.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry about that link imthedudeman, it would appear that he has removed that free content and redirected the link to his paid offering. I haven't been able to find a direct link to the video, he must have removed it completely.

Both of those are quite similar in that they both outline and limit the basis of the relationship between the website owner and the user of the website. I'm not a lawyer but I'd suggest that one document could most probably cover both of those for your website.

If you are promoting products owned by others, you should probably include a line in your terms of service or disclaimer document, stating that you may earn a commission from ads or links posted on your site. For example we include the line below in Business Advice Forum's disclaimer.