Website Competitor - Trademark question

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by theshadowfan, Jul 1, 2011.

1. theshadowfan

theshadowfan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a website that I've been running for several years. A couple months ago website with a identical URL with the addition of another word (being Podcast) has started covering topics similar to my own website. They not only have a website but are also on YouTube, iTunes, etc, which my site is as well, and again they're using our name plus the name Podcast. We've previously had a podcast using the same name as their website.

It's this lack of a difference in the name and also the fact that they cover the similar topics that I'm afraid visitors and other business that I work with are confused by which website is which.

I haven't applied for a trademark on the name. Clearly because of this incident I should. But I have a question on what exactly I should trademark:

The name of my website is several words. I sometimes write the name with spaces and other times without, either way you read it the same. Currently my competitor writes the name with spaces. Should I trademark both ways, with spaces and without? Do the spaces matter for a trademark?

Ultimately after the trademark I want to send a cease and desist letter to the other website.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum theshadowfan. Can you please tell us what state or country you are based in?

3. theshadowfan

theshadowfan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

California

4. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes you should trademark with both to avoid future problems. Also as this website is trying to steal your glory all your hardwork will be nothing if this happens. With trademark in both terms will provide you security at all costs. Go for the trademark and cover all types risks in it. Do not hesitate to do it.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with James Greg. If possible, go ahead for the trademark

6. theshadowfan

theshadowfan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LegalZoom will cost at least $494 for one trademark. Anyone know of any place that is cheaper?

7. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

maybe you can have a look on tmexpress.com and registeringatrademark.com