Website advice

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by JAMIEHILL, Sep 6, 2012.

1. JAMIEHILL

JAMIEHILL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, I am new to the forum, hope everybody is ok

Need some advice please, I am looking to get a website started , it will be like a classified business listings website, and I was wondering if :

1) It is ok to show various other companies info and contact details without their permission ?
    It would hopefully be generating work for them so it would be in a very positive way.

2) Would I need to take out any type of insurance to cover myself for a classified listings website ? I would be looking to start as a sole trader.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
    Jamie

2. TheSkip

TheSkip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Jamie,

Are you aware that the Internet is pretty much at saturation point with these types of site. I think you would really have to be offering something new and innovative to make this work.

3. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well,I don't think the companies have problems by adding their contact infos in your website.Thats all I can say because for point 2 honestly I don't have any idea either.
    We would love to hear more about this project in future days :)

4. JAMIEHILL

JAMIEHILL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to do something different to what is on offer, I have over 17 years experience in the shipping industry so I am trying to link it to that aimed at people outside of the UK ( where I am based )

Do you have any ideas about insurance that might be needed for me ?

5. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't think any business would object to a free listing, and there is probably no legal restriction (I can't speak for UK or EU law but it certainly would not be a problem in the US)

I'm not sure what insurance you would need. What are the risks you would want to protect against?

6. Bwendo

Bwendo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am fairly certain someone would be willing to take your money for a form of 'insurance' if you have anxiety about what you are doing is wrong, but if you are approaching the project with good intentions and with a sense of fairplay, surely any objections would just mean you remove their listing from the site.
    I can't imagine legal action being pursued unless you resisted their request to have their information removed promptly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheSkip

TheSkip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What I can tell you is that several websites have taken my contact details and published it without my permission. I think if their details are already published somewhere else it would be hard to object to this.

8. JAMIEHILL

JAMIEHILL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for all you replies. In ref to insurance, I was just looking to cover myself but the above points are very helpful. It would be listing companies in a positive way and hopefully generating work form them :)

I will be sure to use the forums again for any future advice.

Thanks
    Jamie

• Like Like x 1
  9. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google, Bing and Yahoo collect site information without owner permission, are they legal? Is user happy with their services? To prevent a site crawl by search engine, they offer robots.txt feature to remove a site. How about wikipedia, who give user permission to publish those content?

if the services or product is benefit everyone, people happy with it, I cant find a reason to worry it.

10. even

even
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Never give out information that is not yours. You ask the company's permission.

11. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The problem is, if you give out the company's information for free, how will you make money? On the other hand, who will pay you for listings if you don't have traffic? The days are gone when directory links were beneficial and sought after. These days, directory links can lead to penalties.

I agree with the others here. Think this through and be ready to come up with new angles or new ideas.