Web Directory Profitable?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by MrJohn, Feb 4, 2010.

1. MrJohn

MrJohn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I have recently started a web directory based on the niche of forums. But I was wondering, is there really any money in it? Is it worth it? I will keep it going either way as its a fun project.

2. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your Web Directory profit depends upon Page Rank and Quality.

Have you already established site and it's uses? I believe you need to work on site's quality and better the page-rank you've more way you can get traffic to your site. Don't forget only having pagerank won't help anymore but it's plaus point, you also need traffic to your site as well. At least you need to work on building your site in more useful way.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good luck with your new directory MrJohn. Will you be including advertising on your directory or do you plan on generating revenue purely from paid submissions?

Would you mind sharing a link to your directory with us?

4. MrJohn

MrJohn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is in my signature. www.forumpioneers.com

Yes I plan on using ads eventually with paid submissions once I get a better pagerank.

5. noel877

noel877
    uix_expand uix_collapse

IMO, web directories is a saturated market. You really have to love what you're doing because the money wont be coming for quite a while.

First you will need to figure out if you have an audience, Then you'll need to find them. Once you find them or vice versa, you'll need to keep them, And you can't keep an audience if you dont have a quality directory. So... you'll probably will need to focus on building a quality directory for a while. Thats why you really have to love being a directory owner.

#5 noel877, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  6. MrJohn

MrJohn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Noel, I appreciate the feedback. Yea I know money wouldn't come from it for quite some time. But I can wait. I am just in it mainly as a hobby project, but I just want to know that its going somewhere eventually.

7. bistones

bistones
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can benefit from advertising, if the PR and Quality is high.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Would it be possible for you to add a category for business? I've added one forum and will add another one if you can please add a business category.

A directory can be profitable if it is well managed and promoted. For example, there are many profitable hosting directories and you might also be interested in having a look at how much this directory charges for website submission.

I notice that you offer free standard and reciprocal links, perhaps you might try charging a small amount for the standard links. This should encourage more people to link back to you, which will have obvious advantages for your directory.

Your directory looks very good, all you need now is some listings, to make it attractive for visitors. Have you been promoting it at FP, there are lots of forum owners there who are looking for ways to promote their forums?

By the way, I get an "Internal Server Error" when I click on any of the categories on your directory, you might want t look at that.

9. MrJohn

MrJohn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yea its a coding problem for the servor error. I have been working since last night to fix it. Hopefully it will be fixed by today. Yes I will add a business category. Yea I have been promoting a bit but I wanna get these few bugs fixed real quick before I really promote.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update MrJohn, it looks as if the directory is fixed and I have purchased a link. However, I got an error message on this page http://www.forumpioneers.com/payment.php?id=9 first time round, and then it was OK when I refreshed the page. This is something you need to fix because you will lose business if your visitors see error pages. Error pages, won't give them the confidence to make a payment to you.

It's a nice directory, good luck with it.

11. MrJohn

MrJohn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal. I appreciate you helping very much. I will try and get that error page fixed asap.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I really like the way you have added images to your categories, it really makes your directory look very professional and appealing. Did you consider putting your categories in alphabetical order?