Web Design Company

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by FB92, Nov 28, 2012.

1. FB92

FB92
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I run a New Zealand web design company and have been doing design for the past four years.

Next year there will be some changes in the way we work as my girlfriend is selling her company and giving me half or all the funds from her sale (There are offers in the millions... because it's an R18 company) to get me an office, do promotional type things and whatnot.

Anyhow just wondering what businesses find useful when trying to promote. I am thinking of doing a TV ad, and a radio ad, and maybe a fair bit of promotion outside of the web and on the web.

But not entirely sure on how to do it all.

If you own a company or business how did you start it up to where it is now? What promotional techniques did you use and how did it benefit you?

I have purchased a couple of promotional type things such as a t-shirt for both me and my girlfriend and business cards for me, going to buy some for her.

It's all pretty new to me with the whole office idea and I really do not want to stuff it up by doing the wrong thing.

Discussions, advice, whatever else is appreciated.

2. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess you have posted your thread in a wrong forum section. Anyways, since you have posted that on an SEO thread, I will give my opinion based on the SEO/online marketing point of view.

What you are thinking right now (TV ad or Radio ad) is good since there's still lots of people who don't engage on the internet thing for some personal reasons. In addition, you can now start your online promotional campaign through banner ads.

You have mentioned that you run a web design company. Why not make a compelling promotional banner and use your company profile in promoting it? You just have to make people believe what you are promoting is for example an affiliate of your current business (web design company). If you are currently having a good social media profile, why not use it as a promotional channel for that?

Or, you can hire a writer to write a good and compelling press release and submit it to popular Press Release websites like PRweb and let them syndicate the content for another promotional opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Actually, The first two words in the title of this section are "Sales" and "Marketing". Two threads were merged quite some time ago. FB92's question was about promotion, which is part of marketing, so the thread does indeed belong here.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm not sure that's the right kind of promotion to do for a web design business. When potential clients are deciding whether or not to use your web design services, the biggest factors for them will be your portfolio and the quality of your own website. There is probably little to be gained from spending a lot of money promoting your services if you don't have a strong portfolio that is attractive to your potential clients.

Once you have created a quality site for your own business the next step will be to get your first clients, whom you can add to your portfolio. One way of getting these is by doing work for charities or by doing high quality web design work for contacts, friends and family. Once you have your portfolio showcased on a high quality site, you are ready to start your marketing and promotion. When it comes to a service such as web design, business networking and direct sales will probably work much better for you than TV or radio advertising.

How does that approach sound to you?