Web Design Business or job?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by jeff123, Oct 15, 2010.

1. jeff123

jeff123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a question.

Web design business is very easy to get started nowadays. Everyone is jumping in these business and theres a lot of competition.But on the other hand there are so many jobs and work in these field

I have a web design business set up from last 2 years. Our company is growing everyday. We are taking projects from US, UK and other countries.

But I am thinking that these will not be these way for a long time. I have a good degree but as soon as I finished my degree I started these business and didnt got any time to do any jobs

So my job exp is very less. I am thinking to get some job expierience so when it is bad time for business I can use my exp and get any job. But it feels very hard now to join any job and leave all that is setup from last 2 years so easily.

What are your suggestions?

2. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Then you should work on both. Working real life and the internet. Provided you are able to cope with your online business when you are working out there.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

50Cent makes a good point, would it be possible for you to get a job and to keep your business running on a part time basis?

I'm not sure why you find such a strong need to get a job to be honest. You already have a job, working for yourself. If business is going well and still going in the right direction, you will hopefully be able to maintain that.

The experience you get from running your own business will be much stronger and more useful than the experience you get from working for someone else. This is because you are responsible for much more when you run your own business. Plus people who are self employed are generally much harder working and more dedicated than employees. This experience will stand to you whether you continue to grow your own business, start a new business or look for employment in the future.

You might benefit from reading "The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It" by Michael E. Gerber, you can find it on Amazon. It's a great book that talks about some of the issues you may be currently experiencing.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You already have a job, don't you? As an owner of a web design business, right?
    As far as I have experienced, it's much better if you continue your current job. Because that way, you can control the work you are getting, plus you can take your time in finishing them.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

job experience is less? you already have 2 years (or more) experience in web design.
    if you go for other job, what kind of job you are looking for? is it related to IT? if yes, better stay on your web design and learn some other IT related knowledge by yourself.
    If you are looking for other job, you start from zero, and you might think the same after 2 years time.

I saw your design, you are doing a great job. Why dont focus on your business now, think how to improve it and get more business. when you focus on the improvement on skill and design, you wouldnt think too much about other. Focus and practice make success

6. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't stop doing something that's making you money. Either keep going AND get some job experience, or just stick with this. If you don't get job experience, however, you should look into building a site for you that makes money. Hypothetically, web design demand could drop. If you have a portfolio of 5 or so sites generating ad revenue or e-commerce revenue, you'll be fine. But it's pretty unlikely that web design demand would drop.

7. TiaWood

TiaWood
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been doing web development / design for ten years. I had to hold down a second job until about 3 years ago. It's hard but doable. Just keep working on your skills. You will find ways to stay ahead.

8. lirajones

lirajones
    uix_expand uix_collapse

U are already getting enough experience on your current projects. What you can do is that along doing the business u can work on part time basis at some design agencies just to aware the techniques and knowledge. This will create a big difference on your quality of work as different agencies are working on different techniques of web design services.

9. jeff123

jeff123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thats the best ideas..>Thanks for motivating me...I will keep on doing what I am doing right now and will improve myself

Thanks

10. passionate_rohan

passionate_rohan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Jeff,

Yes it is really true that IT-Services business is very competitive and especially it can get upside down anytime. So you should always have a backup planned for you all the time.

Truly speaking I have personally witnessed deals of millions of dollars shattering down in midway of the contract. Result, the whole team working for that is actually jobless now. In bigger software firms this can be handled by moving people on different technologies and domains. But for startups/small-industries this can be a crucial blow.

As suggested in another thread, you may move into process and quality areas. As, you already have entrepreneurship skills, I would say just combine this with project management skills and quality-management.

You can apply them in your business for optimized excellence. This way you can continue with your business and still get ready for future-jobs in case the situation arrives.

These skills are highly demanded in almost all the Big Multi-National software firms. You will surely have a much bigger exposure than the person who has been working for 2 years in the same firm.

Thanks and regards,
    Rohan

11. navast2010

navast2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you should choose what you like. interest is the best teacher.

12. syed2011

syed2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Having own business is better than doing a job, i agree that job experience is important, but as far as i know Web business is growing a lot, and there will be huge competition in future. Be with your Business.

Nice question...

13. davidmoore

davidmoore
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you could handle both then do both. I think with a good time management you could work to other companies with no conflicting interest as you manage your web design company as well. It will be a lot wiser to have both just in case one would not give a good income.

14. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What did you end up deciding Jeff? 2011 is a great time to make big decisions :) I don't think web design work is going anywhere! And more and more corporations are outsourcing their web work to small firms like yours. On the other hand, it can be nice to have health benefits from a 'real job'...

15. yellow01

yellow01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In web designing business is god idea because in your own business u can earn too much but in job u can earn a fix salary and it increase as per your perfomance.