Ways to Impress Your Boss

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by GekiDan, Nov 20, 2009.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So your planning and trying hard to impress your boss so you will get promoted on your job? Or so you won't get fired? You don't have to problem that.

I recently saw this article about the 5 Ways to Wow Your Boss. Here are the very simple tips you need to do:

1. Be humble
    2. Be honest
    3. Be respectful of the boss's time
    4. Be self-sufficient
    5. Be a "can-do" employee

Please let us know if this works.:p

2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My view on these and the article based on my experience of the past 15 years;

1. Be humble - I could only agree to part of this. I want my staff to respect the fact that they have a job and be pleased. However, I want them to promote themselves when they have a chance. If they cannot promote the good work they are doing then nobody else is going to do it for them. As for the line in the article "and make him look good to his boss" I personally find that complete nonsense. If they are doing their job that is all that matters. If they make a mistake or do something stupid I will take it on my shoulders to my boss that's life, I would not want my team working just to make me look good, it should be the other way around, I should be working to make them look good so that they can move on and either progress at this company or find a better job at another company.

2. Be honest - it the most important factor. Everyone is human and humans make mistakes. If you make one put your hand up, if you do, it may be uncomfortable for a while, but as long as you learn from it then job done. If you don't put your hand up or you don't learn from it - time to move on.

3. be respectful of the bosses time - only agree in part. My time is no more valuable than any other employee of the company. The cleaner or the guy that paints the walls is just as important as me. Everyone needs to pull in the same direction to ensure the company moves forward. If someone wants to discuss something with me then to them it must be important so we will take the time to discuss it. After all, everyone has different individual goals that add up to company goals and it may be something that they need to achieve. If that is the case then that's ok with me. At the end of the day, the boss gets paid more and expects his/her time to be stretched more.

4. be self-sufficient - Yes this is important, any member of the team should have the confidence to make a decision. As long as they have put thought into it and made the decision based on all the information they have then even if it goes wrong then that is fine with me. However, if they failed to talk to me, knowing that I may have held extra information then that is not fine. Being self-sufficient is not all about making the decisions on your own and not bothering the boss, it is about working on your own where you can and bringing in others when it is necessary.

5. Be a 'can-do' employee - I would prefer my staff to tell me straight if something I want them to do will not get done on time. I don't want people telling me they will do it just so I am happy and then find out it goes wrong. It is great when people volunteer for jobs as it makes your life easier as the boss. However, some people spread themselves to thin trying to impress and that has the opposite of the desired effect. As a boss I want my team to work as a team and that means that they should all talk to each other and spread the work out between them how they see fit. If one person takes all the extra work all the time then I may well be thinking they are holding back from the rest of the team.

It is all a balancing act. The best employees are those that are open and honest. If they have a problem they tell you, if they think you as the boss has done something wrong they tell you.

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Five points to impress a boss are great But seeing the practical front you need more than those five points to impress your Boss in actuality...Sometimes you have to be diplomatic in your approach..These five principles are great but only if used diplomatically ......one should not be a hard core follower of these principles other wise they can land you in trouble too....For Eg-- Some times you have to neglect boss mistakes.. .you can not be honest here and go on telling someone if asked for..you have to overlook some aspects even if you know they are wrong unless until they are not bothering you...

4. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One more sure way of impressing your boss is to act as if you are always one step back from boss in everything your boss do since no superior likes his subordinate to be ahead of him..also it will give you an opportunity to learn some valuable gems of concepts out of his long lasting gathered experience....
    this will sure shot give you a rise in your career both at personal level and professional level....
    These boss type of people have always some hidden learning under their sleeve which you can learn only if you will show that you are incomplete in front of your boss....:D

5. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for that! Base from my experience, being honest is the number one that got me promoted.

6. augest

augest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that "Be a "can-do" employee" is the most important thing to a boss.
    Thanks very much!

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with that a positive attitude is very important and bosses have a lot more respect for employees who take ownership and responsibility for solving company problems.

8. mili56

mili56
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think honesty is the best way to impress boss. As positive attitude of boss is very important so one should try to listen ones boss.

9. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the other way would be your work or hard labour. You must be dedicated to your work which all Bosses like in their employees.

10. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Based from experience, showing your boss that you're a hardworking person says it all.

11. anjuman06

anjuman06
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As positive attitude of boss is very important so everyone should try to impress own boss. Honesty is the most proffered way to impress boss.

12. Nancy Olson

Nancy Olson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really appreciating and helping ideas....Hear my thoughts as well.

Pay attention to your boss's Ideas
    Accept your manager's idiosyncrasies with grace
    Don’t Expect Your Boss to Spoon-Feed You
    Don't get frustrated when he/she disagrees with you
    Accomplish the task before the deadline
    Overtime
    Stop Badmouthing about the Boss
    Never directly approaching the big boss

13. MCDA CCG

MCDA CCG
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can agree with some of these but I think the most important thing you can do is make a connection with your boss. Yes, you should be humble and honest with your boss, but you also have to be fearless. If your boss makes a mistake you should be able to go to them and let them know. Would they point out your mistake? Of course, so don't be afraid to point out theirs. Be able to self start on a project, task, or assignment, nothing is more frustrating than having to spoon-feed employees their daily tasks. A good leader should have a structure in place so that all employees know and perform to their daily expectations. Be a can-do employee, but also do not bit off more than you can chew. If you take a project or assignment, own it. Own it 100%, if you feel that it is above your head you need to respectfully go to your boss without fear and let them know. Do not bring your boss a problem without bringing a solution. Solutions motivate managers, they may not like it or even go with it but they will love that you brought one to the table. You should never walk down the hall and fear saying hello, afternoon, or anything to your boss. Have that personal connection, just make sure it doesn't cross any lines.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PrashantBhurke

PrashantBhurke
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Focus on the work.
    Respect other employees as well as your boss.
    Always complete your work on time.
    Be honest.

15. Gerry Speck

Gerry Speck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In this corporate world, to grow or learn in our career, we have to stay connected with our work, office staff, management depth and the boss. Generally, everyone is not happy with their boss. There are so many reasons like loss of communication, attitude, work pressure and many more. But, a better relationship with your boss is always beneficial for your career.

1.Here are some ways to build a good relationship with your boss.
    2. Always respect him.
    3.Now, what exactly your boss wants.
    4. Be honest and always give 100 % to your work.
    5. Be one time.
    6. Ask him for any help or advice if you are in problem.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cwvps

cwvps
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great advice. This also helps employers to be more specific about their requirements towards employees.

17. Annahall

Annahall
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me another way to impress your boss is to be punctual. Don't be late, I'm sure he'll be impress and happy when he sees you in the office when he arrives.

18. terryse

terryse
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Be an asset and deliver what you're being paid for and expected to do on time. Be updated in your field and just be your honest self.

19. vishalesskay

vishalesskay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some of the ways to impress the boss are mentioned as under:

· Willing to Learn

· Admit Your Mistakes

· Fight for Your Staff

· Keep a clean work space

· Save the Company Money

· Take the Initiative

· Arrive Early

· Dress Well

· Stay Focused

· Stay Positive

· Be Incredibly Honest

· Stay Late

20. campbelljof

campbelljof
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi ,

Very nice rules, these are the rules all you can do to impress your boss so you need to follow these rules to impress your boss.
    I also going to follow these nice rule and advice other to follow and the last thing is that do what your boss want to do or obey your boss
    don't do negative thing in front of bosss