Ways to get paid online as a minor

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by andrewluj, Aug 14, 2012.

1. andrewluj

andrewluj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How can i get paid online? Most easy payment methods terms of service require you to be 18, and many places that i could make money (ex: eBay and Google play) only really work with certain payment methods (which also need you to be 18). This is a major problem to me, as i want to start my own software/app studio and cant do much if i cant get paid.

2. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, you can get paid in different ways, Paypal allows a limit as unverified, and there are the options of VCCs..
    You can ask for someone you trust to get paid for your and give him a percentage e.g. 10% but must be someone trusty.
    Payza and others liek paypal can also help you until a limit.
    You can ask to be paid..in amazon gift cards, i have seen this before, quite smart way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. andrewluj

andrewluj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I cant do paypal, as you need to be 18 to legally HAVE an account with them. as for using someone else, no one close enough to me can do that for reasons i'd rather not talk about. As for payza heres an excerpt from their TOS

"If you are an individual, then you are at least 18 years of age and do not require the consent, approbation or approval of any other person or entity to conclude a contractual obligation of the type represented in this Agreement."

Most company's are like this because it's hard to hold a minor to a contract, and i cant involve my parents.

And finally about the gift card thing, that wouldn't work very well for an online store, not to mention it would be easy to get scammed, and i may not always want somthing from amazon.

But thank you very much for your suggestions :)

4. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have a back account(or share one)? You could be paid with wire transfer.

5. andrewluj

andrewluj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes i have a bank account, but how easy would the wire transfer be for the client? Especially as most of my items would be in the $5-$50 price range.

EDIT: and how hard would it be to put this into A e-commerce shop

6. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are methods such as Postloop, and a new method that is about to released. I'm not sure as for others because I am still searching for them myself.

7. andrewluj

andrewluj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you may of misunderstood postloop seems to be a way to make money, not a payment method.

8. storeowner

storeowner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have a parent or guardian who will set up a Paypal account for you that you have full access to? I mean, it would have to be in their name, but at least you could transfer the money out to your own bank account.

9. chixfashionz

chixfashionz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your customers should be able to do bank transfers for the $5 to $50 range. And for that price range you are better off if they do, as the electronic intermediaries all charge a commission for their services collecting the money. Better for you if the money can go straight into your account and be there in a day or two.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have a look at some of the sites listed in the "Online Payment Processing" section of our Useful Online Business Resources thread. I haven't checked all their terms, but perhaps there is one of them that will deal with you.

Another option to look at would be something like BitCoin or other online currencies, even our own BAF Cash.

I would also suggest that you speak to your bank. Explain your situation to them and ask if they can help or offer you any suggestions.

You could also consider some way of getting paid through a third party, who would be prepared to pay you directly into your bank account. There are various options here - e.g. maybe you could offer your apps for free, but sell ad space or use affiliate programs on your site.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  11. libertyreverse

libertyreverse
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the info, it was really helpful.

12. andrewluj

andrewluj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks a bunch for that link and advice, there's a few other resources i could use there as well. Also to top it all off it look like sagepays TOS dosen't require you to be 18, but i'm going to call them and check for sure.