warehouse uses

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by pzadude, Jan 13, 2010.

1. pzadude

pzadude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is my first post on this forum. I'm looking for some ideas on what businesses might be appropriate for a vacant warehouse. I purchased this warehouse for my wife's business which has now become a casualty of the poor economy. I've got about 17000 sq ft under roof, (about 1/3 of that climate controlled) 2 loading docks, and about $3100 per month in cost. That includes mortgages, taxes, insurance and utilities.

I've considered some of the more passive possibilities, like storage, to cover the costs, but would prefer something that would actually become a real profit center. I'm located in southern Virginia and am within 60 miles of 3 decent size town/cities.

Any suggestions?

2. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are you looking in any way to put house on rent? If not, you may try having parking service if your area is near to the market. If that doesn't meet the condition how about opening a shop or a place for kids or baby land.

I believe it's more better to use the land than make it on warehouse.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum pzadude and thanks for asking your business questions. Sorry to hear about your wife's business, unfortunately we are in difficult economic times and many businesses are struggling.

Have you considered leasing out the premises to another business? Your annual costs per square foot, for the warehouse are quite reasonable. If you could find a good tenant for the property it should not be too difficult to turn it to a profit, without requiring a big input of your time or you personally taking on the risks associated with a business.

You might consider contacting local estate agents to ask if they have any clients that would be interested in the property. Other options to consider would be contacting local chambers of commerce, business associations and business networks in your area. You could also contact companies directly, that you feel might benefit from renting your property. Keeping an eye on business news stories and trade press for reports of companies that are re-locating or expanding can reveal good opportunities. Advertising in the property pages of local newspapers is another option, even the lower cost classified ads can help to get the word out that your property is available.

If you are interested in running a business in the property yourself can you please tell us a little about your own background experience and interests? The property has cold storage which makes it sound suitable for a food distribution business. Do you have any experience or interest in that business area?

Please post back with your thoughts and we will do our best to offer you helpful suggestions.

4. pzadude

pzadude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been a franchisee for one of the big pizza companies for almost 20 years. I only have cold storage to the extent that only part of the warehouse has hvac. I've been back and forth between renting and starting something new. While my wife's business was operating, the other half of the warehouse was occupied by a flea market. We were covering 2/3 of the building expense that way, but interest in the flea market has dwindled and the remaining participants don't justify the hassle and time commitment.

I'm leaning towards renting it out, and your suggestions are very much in line with what I'm envisioning. My pizza business is where most of my focus needs to stay and the prospect of building something new is not too appealing unless it's just too good an idea to pass up. Our location, central to 3 larger towns, makes me feel that this location would provide a convenient distribution hub for something....

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like your property is in a great location pzadude. Good luck with renting it out and please keep us updated as to how things work out for you.

By the way, you are welcome to advertise your property free of charge in our Member Ads & Marketplace forum.