Wanted to Introduce myself, and ask for your advice.

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Madebyfletcher, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Madebyfletcher

Madebyfletcher
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello i just joined this forum today. I own a graphic/ web design and development business. We have been in operation for 7 months now. We launched our website on January 4. Everyone i talked to prior to the website being finished said that business will increase in volume once the website goes live, but we have not had any success in increasing our clientele since the website went live. People say our website looks great and we have a great portfolio. I have tried every aspect of promoting my business, and so far really nothing. I have posted in Linked In, I have a Twitter account, we have a company blog. I post on other blogs, on various social media websites, i post on other forums, and nothing. Can someone give me some suggestions into how to find clients, I would be thrilled with just finding one new client. I would even charge them half of our normal rate. Please help me and my company.

Thank You in advance

Here is our website http://www.madebyfletcher.com/

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Your website does indeed look very professional. What is the traffic like to your site, do you think you are not getting enough sales because you are not getting enough traffic or because you are not selling enough to the visitors you are getting?

One suggestion I would make is that you clarify the services that you offer on your site. It is very clear that you provide design services, but it would probably help to state the types of design you provide, e.g. logo design, website design, print design, etc.

You may find this previous discussion helpful - How can i gain clients? - for a graphic design service!

3. Madebyfletcher

Madebyfletcher
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We've been getting a lot of visitors. over 1400 visits since we launched the site on January 4th. I just don't understand what the problem is.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I agree with Fergal. Although the website looks professional, it is lacking in formation about what it is you actually do. The portfolio is graphics rich, but content poor. As a potential client, why would I request "Something like this" if I have no idea what "this" actually is? Also, the "Process" section seems a little "gimmicky". The section called "Magic" says, and I quote, "This part of our process is filled with mystery and has never been observed by an outsider. In fact, the very act of attempting to observe it causes it to vanish." Come on, really?
    I realize you may be attempting to stand out, and you have to be true to yourself and your business philosophy, but perhaps to attract more business, you need to be more business-like.
    At the risk of "tooting my own horn", you might also consider getting the site highly-ranked on Google and the other major search engines. More and more people and businesses are going to the search engines to find the products and services they need - you need to make sure that you are the business they find.

5. Madebyfletcher

Madebyfletcher
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess we wanted the site to have a very personable feel. Now a days people want to deal with "humans" as opposed to big corporations where it's impossible to talk to someone for more than 2 minutes on the phone. We just though people want to deal with a personable company that will make the customer feel that they are being pay special attention to at all times. We wanted our customers to see that we have special passion and love for graphic and web design, we're not just doing this as a job for a paycheck, but because we actually care about the finished product, and seeing the smile on our customers faces. We want our customers to see that we care about every square cm of each design, and put special passion and love into every project.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I believe that you can achieve all that Madebyfletcher and still give a little more info on the services you provide. Your site does look great and the graphics are very professional, I agree that they have a touch of "magic" and this will be very appealing to potential clients. However, you need to consider your service offering from a client perspective - think about what they want and what they are searching for. When they visit your site they will be looking for some form of design service. It's important that your site quickly communicates the fact that you can provide that service, if that message isn't communicated very clearly your visitor will move on to a competing site.

Something as simple as adding a tag line such as "Professional logo, website and print design services" to your header plus a "Services" page describing the services you offer and linked from your navigation area, could yield big improvements in your conversion rates and the business you get from your site.

Good luck with it.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I really don't know why but the site has lots of whitespaces on it that might look "too" plain.
    And it also lacks content to basically describes your services.

Another thing, the terms under your portfolio column like Web, Logo and Print, leads to the same page.
    Why is there a need to have those links if it only ponts to the same page?

8. DaveScotford

DaveScotford
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just to add my voice to the choir, you site looks great, throu very tailored to a professional angle. From my point of view (I run a clothing company) then i probably wouldn't use the services you offer as the site doesn't show the creative spark you guys no doubt have to be doing so well. It looks really clan cut, maybe something that would appeal to a professional market but there's some money to be made in working for us creative types :)

The portfolio does look stunning though!

As a small clothing company then we really try and push our personal feel of the site, make us humans and hopefully our site comes across chatty and friendly while still giving all the info needed. Maybe look at putting some kind of content in there that could make you seem more human while helping the search engines and visitors find out what you do?

9. adwordsmogul

adwordsmogul
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I have taken a look at your site. You seem to have extraordinary talent, so I have written down a few notes for you.

Here is what you need to do:

1. In the beginning choose 1 thing for each of your sites - either graphic design or web design. You will find that having that sort of focus will make your marketing more effective. If you want to offer a complete solution, that's fine, as long as there are people wanting to pay. If you choose to go with web design:

2. Decide on the market you are after. There are money sub-divisions but there are two main areas I think you should think of:

A) People who know what they are doing and will guide you to help them create a website that will make them money. I.E. Online Marketers.

The downside is that these guys are not looking for creativity - they want something simple, easy to navigate and is built to attract sales.

There are few designers willing to do this. If you can demonstrate that your focus is on making the site make more money you will get lots of referrals.

It will also open doors to more lucrative opportunities since you will be dealing with business minded individuals.

Obviously, it's not easy to get in but there are many opportunities for long term relationships (which means recurring income)

B) The average person who just want a website that will impress other people. Those guys will be more interested in your portfolio and creativity.

Many will end up being one off customers if you do not offer anything else besides design.

3. Once you have decided on your market use WORDS to make them request your portfolio. As beautiful as your designs are, most people don/t "get them" as deeply as they should.

This means you have to tell them the value in words they can understand. So let's say you walk down you market to restaurant owners. You can tell them that your site can double the number of reservations they get.

Let them know they can easily update their menu, etc. I don't know anything about restaurants so this is just off the top of my head.

4. You really need to find out what your customers want. You may be spending time going after everybody - everybody is not worth it.

Choose the kind of customer who will give you the most money and with working with whom will give you the most satisfaction. Scr3w everybody else!

5. When you want them to do some thing, such as request a quote, everything on your page has to lead them to that. I think you want to be sure that they see your design before they contact you.

You will be surprised to find out how many people really don't care.

Bottom line: Focus on what your customer wants not on what you have to offer. Translate your services into terms they find valuable after you have found out that it's valuable to them. Don't assume anything, always keep in mind that different people care about different things.

At the end of day, the only reason to have a business site if for it make money for you.

All the best!

Jean Paul

P.S. Feel free to ask additional questions. I will look for time to answer them.
    P.S. As much as I love online marketing, don't rely too much on your website to bring in money. You might be better off walking down the street and talking to local business owners and then directing them to your site if they want to see your work.
    P.S.S. With all due respect, web and graphic design have become commodities. That's because you can now pay $49 for 1000s of professionally designed templates.

Most people don't understand the value of having a professional such as yourself. What this means for you is that you may want to revise your business model and see where the money really is going.

• Like Like x 1
    #9 adwordsmogul, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  10. Charles-John

Charles-John
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just went through your contact page. Do you know how many blanks were filled by your prospect customers? If 80% of them didn't fill "what their favorite candy bar" is then it is probable that such a question is unnecessary. Your customers could be too busy or may not be in the mood to fill out all those forms.

Your web design is simple and great. But like many others have pointed out you really need a services page to tell people what you do. Also it will be better if you sort portfolio under service heads. Today people have lots of choices, if they find you confusing they will just leave you, that is the problem with online businesses.

Also try offline marketing. Meet clients directly, advertise through posters, get references from your existing clients. And it does help if you get listed in google places.

11. Madebyfletcher

Madebyfletcher
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most people just fill out the email, name and phone number field.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd agree with Charles-John, if most people are not filling out some of those form fields I would remove them from the page. If you ask visitors for two much info, a proportion of them will feel that it is too much trouble and they will simply leave your site without submitting the form. If the form looks quick and easy, a lot more visitors will complete it and this will help you to build up a valuable list of potential clients. You can gather the additional info from the prospects at a later date, that is if it is required at all, but the key priority on the first visit is that you capture their email address and begin communicating with them.

13. Charles-John

Charles-John
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanx Fergal. Again making 'What services will you need?' a required field will let you know what your client need. That will save yours and his time of writing a second email. It would be better if you can change 'I don't know' to 'other' or 'something else', because if they reach your website they sure know what they are looking for.

And don't forget the services page.