Want to start my own e-business. Not sure how. First post...

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by bonoz, Jan 28, 2011.

1. bonoz

bonoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone! My first post here. Excited to be here.

So let me just dive right into it. The thought of having my own creative idea, implementing it, providing help/knowledge/assistance to people, enjoying it, and also making money off of it, appeals to me greatly. I am in my early 20s right now. My real passion is medicine. I want to be a world physician one day. More specifically, I want to provide my services without charging my patients any dime. With that being said, the cost of medical school, loans, living, etc., will be very high. To ensure that I can realize my goal one day, live a comfortable life, and have the pleasure of having my own "business", I want to start something up. I have a close friend that I am currently brainstorming ideas with. My hope is to initiate something before I start medical school next August. Now I know you may be thinking "this guy is crazy he thinks he can run a business and goto school at the same time". Maybe so. But I still want to do it. I may not succeed, but I at least will have tried.

My aim is to have an interesting and simple idea for a website which will bring traffic. I want to then leverage that traffic to bring in participation from other businesses whether it's through content or advertisement. We have a good few ideas but one primary one. It may not bring instantaneous success or any success for that matter.

Where I am stuck at this moment is moving forward. What are my next steps? Say I have a good idea in my head. What steps do I need to take in order to turn my imagination into reality. I probably need to do extensive research as well. But should I create a business plan? patent my idea so others can't steal it? What are my next steps?

Also, is it possible to run a small scale business like this part-time? My hope is to distribute efforts between me and my partner and a few other people.

Most people have great ideas but do nothing to implement them. They either have a fear of failure or no time/motivation or simply do not believe in themselves. I am willing to experiment here. I could miserably fail, or just maybe succeed at my goals.

Thanks

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum bonoz. I admire your goals and ambitions and it is very nice to meet you here.

What you do next will depend on some factors such as;
    • Have you the knowledge and skills to set up the website yourself?
    • Do you require any investment in order to launch the business?

In my opinion the short answer is yes, any business can benefit from the clarity that a business plan brings and you shouldn't let the prospect of writing a plan scare you. You can keep your plan really simple and there are links to some great templates in the Business Plan Templates section of our Useful Business Resources / Links thread.

That would depend on whether or not your idea is patentable and on other factors. What country are you in? You could contact your country's patent office and ask them if they believe your idea is patentable.

Yes, absolutely, there are many people (including students) already running small businesses on a part time basis and you can too.

Good luck with it and please do post back with your thoughts.

3. Rasha

Rasha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know exactly what you need, I spent years learning things about online business but finally I found this site that gave me all the info I need. Check it out, I'm sure it will help you. This site has a 26 free video course that will teach you what to do step by step. How to choose a business and what to do next each day at a time. After you finish this free course look further in the site and you will find free webinars, they are also very useful. The site is http://www.chrisfarrellmembership.com

Good Luck