vps location: Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by tom52, Jan 28, 2013.

1. tom52

tom52
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can anyboddy can tell me if distance between VPS server and user have any impact on performance on application on VPS?

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think the location matters with Virtual private server (VPS). All you need a fast, steady and smooth internet connection in VPS. A user also has to have a good Internet connection. I had VPS for ircd and i used to provide shell access, there was no problem with that. The performance on applications were smooth and good. Are you experiencing any problem on the VPS you have or bought?

3. encore

encore
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For about location you should choose company who is close to you, but be careful because you need to choose company who has good support, brand name servers, with quality internet connection etc. I have bad expirience with company in my country so I choose company in USA because distance is not important for me.

4. khaleel

khaleel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally, For me the location doesn't matter as I don't see much difference between the distance. So I would guess no. But to be on the same side I would choose somewhere close like Encore had said.

5. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, one thing i would agree with encore is that choose a country which has fast and reliable internet connection. And, also the company should have the smooth and fast connection and not so much load of users.

6. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Location is not critical in terms of how close it is to you. Some clients prefer a server located in the US if that's where the majority of their client base is. Or Europe if that's where the client base is.

What really matters though is latency. If your server is at a data center with a sub par network, not only will site speed suffer bit you'll have problems connecting and performing administrative tasks on the server whether it be by SSH or control panel.

The main thing in choosing a provider is testing their network and running speed tests. Run a trace route to a test IP to check for possible latency.

7. jakson0100

jakson0100
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if your website is your online store to sell products or services to consumers in the USA, and if you are also living in the US, it is probably a good idea to choose your VPS hosting service provider from within the USA. That way, it would be easy for you to reach the customer support team of your VPS hosting provider whenever you have an issue.
    The geological location of your VPSs can also reflect on your SEO (Search Engine Optimization), in a couple of ways. Google, the search engine giant, now considers page speed (the time your website takes to load into a web browser) as one of the factors in their search engine algorithms. So if your site targets the customers in the USA, but is hosted in a VPS located in a in a remote location with poor internet connection, it would make an impression on your search engine ranking. However, simply choosing a local VPS hosting provider does not guarantee that the server performance is going to be better. The reliability of the virtual private server as well as the speed of the internet connection of the VPS Hosting provider you choose would be also going to matter.
    If your Virtual Private Servers are located in a country that’s in a different time zone, you might have trouble reaching technical support. For instance, say you are in the USA and your VPS hosting provider is located in Australia, it might even take an entire day for you to reach them. However, this will not be an issue with many major VPS hosting providers as they offer around the clock customer support.So if the speed of the virtual private servers, and the internet connection and customer support of the VPS hosting provider are the same, the decision of choosing the location of your VPS hosting solution is just dependent on your requirements.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cupid

cupid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should choose vps location from where is your target visitor are coming from.