Visualisation of global search on Google

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by PaulPinnacle, May 7, 2011.

1. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not entirely sales, marketing or SEO related... but close enough for me.

If you're a visual person, you might be a big fan of the latest 'fun' release from Google. They've provided public access to something they've been using in-house for some time, the search globe. It provides a rough visual representation of the volume, language and location of search queries from around the world.

While it's really a bit of fun and no replacement for any hard analytics data, you'd be surprised at how much value some may glean from this. The most interesting aspect for myself was...
    ... which opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It looks great PaulPinnacle, thanks for sharing it with us. Have you any exciting ideas for what you plan on doing with the source code?

It is disappointing to see how few searches are coming from Africa and I'd echo Google's views on this and hope that it changes in the future.

3. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You mean other than passing it on to someone who actually has the ability and knowledge to use it? ;)

For the moment, it's on my 'to do' list to figure out the potential and limitations of it (e.g. the resources required to actually do it). It's the type of visualization that adds a little fun and perfect for a site with global users (i.e. BAF). Would be very interesting to see the BAF registered users graphed on a mapping like that, a very different view (and more shareable) to that achieved by GA et al.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've had a look at the links you provided Paul and don't see a set of simple instructions on how to use it. If we did use it here on BAF would we need to manually enter data or would the data automatically be recorded via the code we place here on the site?

5. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, it hasn't been made into a simple tool yet. They simply open sourced the platform so that it could be used by others. There's potential there for an innovative company to step up, use the open source and build a "plug and play" front end to it (meaning that less technical users like you and I could use it integrated with some existing tools [google analytics comes to mind]), but there's no guarantee that will ever happen. As mentioned, it's one that's well beyond my reach, but I do like the possibilities that it opens up to developers who might jump on board.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Paul, I'd be very interested in using a tool like that, should someone decide to develop one.