Virtual employee

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by bussinessbrktrgh, Nov 2, 2010.

1. bussinessbrktrgh

bussinessbrktrgh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I’ve heard that among the advantages of virtual employees are savings amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. In fact, I got hold of a report claiming that companies discovered this idea of using virtual employees and extended it to the entire company – and they are completely virtual, with employees working from their homes.

I can understand this advantage of virtual employees – no more office rent, no more huge bills for services, equipments, office supplies and so on. But is it a safe solution? Practically, these people stay at their homes, and I, their boss, ASSUME that they are working properly. Can I really keep track of what they’re doing, or this whole advantage of virtual employees will turn into my worst nightmare? I need to make sure that the policies regarding conversations with clients and handling of orders are respected.

Has anyone tried to do this? Is it any substance to this advantage of virtual employees? I would certainly want to cut some costs, and keep my employees, but I need some certainty that this won’t backfire and ruin my business. Thank you for your opinions!

#1 bussinessbrktrgh, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've outsourced some work to virtual employees working in their homes and most of it has been very successful. You need to be very clear on what you want and make your task requests as specific as possible, especially when you start working with a new person for the first time.

Is there any particular type of work that you wish to outsource bussinessbrktrgh?

3. haramarcuse

haramarcuse
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Monitor regularly the work of virtual employees by sending them emails, telephone calls, instant messages or have remote log in services. You also have to choose their hours of work and set date for the completion of their assigned task.

4. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well you don't have to worry when you clearly define the goals of your employee in the given time and you can further discuss on phone, IMs etc and I have also seen some softwares which will send you the snapshots of your employee computer screen after every 5 sec so that you can see what he is doing and how he is doing...

5. thedudeman

thedudeman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As others have mentioned, there's software out there that can monitor what they're doing. Also, as long as you trust them, I find it to be a good idea.

6. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am actually looking to hire a CFO, and wanted them to be 'virutal' or at their own place.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What will the CFO's role be hcted, and how many hours per week do you want them to work for you?

8. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The CFO will be in charge of almost all site finances, advertising, statistics, and investors. Pretty much the business end.
    I have not a set amount of hours currently, just enough to do the job.

9. romyms

romyms
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are lot of tools available to monitor your virtual employee activity, like Skype, teamviewer, Google docs etc.

10. bleepingdesign

bleepingdesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HI bussinessbrktrgh,

In some cases its possible while in others its not. For example: If its a business where data is really important and loss of data or tampering with it will cause a huge impact then in such cases virtual emp is a bad idea ( DATA BASE MANAGEMENT etc).

Virtual employee can easily work out for graphic designing firms, customer service and tech support ( where you can record calls and also live barge calls) etc

11. s4vyplz00

s4vyplz00
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hmm.gonna check it soon ..lets see

12. Paul0130

Paul0130
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is good to have employees working from home, let me tell you - They will be 10x more productive than in an office, people love working from home and it is less stressful, no costs to travel or grab lunch.

For you, it saves you all the office costs, network, hardware and everything else.

Don't monitor their computer use or try and be an ass with them, let them do the job and if they do it well, leave them be, try to be happy.

I worked in an office at one point, 4 cameras in the room (2-3 man show) they put the cameras on tablets watching your face the whole time, recorded calls, monitored your internet usage, all sorts, all too much in my eyes - Thank god I don't work there now!

Look after your staff, don't be harsh and letting them work from home will keep them much happier in their line of work, trust me.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

I know someone who could do that, have you got a method of contact for it?

• Like Like x 2
  13. natyk

natyk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I work at the home, I very like this kind of work. Of course like everything has good and bad points, but I see only positive :) Probably people who work at home are happier and I think is true! Good luck!

14. shane

shane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As others have said it really depends on the scope of the work you want them to do. Until you build a trust level with someone, I would be very hesitant to trust someone I've never even met with sensitive financial or intellectual property information. Especially if they are located on the other side of the world - what chance would you have of taking them to court if they decided to steal from you or sabotage you? I'm not saying to be paranoid, but I would move forward with extreme caution. For a key position, I would want to see a resume with solid references and I would contact the references. I would also want to meet with the person face-to-face at least once before moving any further unless they were only going to be used for simple tasks that I could manage from a distance. I think the cameras/screenshots/etc mentioned by some of the other posters is overkill - if your distrust is that extreme, they shouldn't be doing work for you.

There is also an ethical aspect to the question - For example, if you could employ someone local to where you are, or hire a virtual employee located somewhere labor is very cheap, are you being unethical by outsourcing it? Are you counting on the wage difference as part of your savings by using the virtual employee? There are different viewpoints on this, and you will have to decide what is right for you, but it is something to consider.

• Like Like x 1
  15. angelOnEarth

angelOnEarth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's hard to trust someone to work and be productive when they're at home. You could just check their outputs regularly if they really are doing a good job but if you really want to be able to monitor them while working, you could use a time tracking software like Time Doctor. I also work from and this is what we use in order for our boss to make sure we don't waste time on unrelated stuff. Just make sure to explain it to them clearly why you have to make them install it. :) Good luck.

16. suman yadav12

suman yadav12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I’ve heard that among the advantages of virtual employees are savings amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. In fact, I got hold of a report claiming that companies discovered this idea of using virtual employees and extended it to the entire company – and they are completely virtual, with employees working from their homes.

17. zalta1980

zalta1980
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

There are lot of tools available to monitor your virtual employee activity, like Skype, teamviewer, Google docs etc.

18. Felix07Richerd

Felix07Richerd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, this is a good way to save money for your company, You don't need to pay higher money, you can use Virtual employee at cheap cost.

19. OlegLola

OlegLola
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I guess that it depends on the company and project type. For example, if you want to launch software project and outsource it, usually the decision lies in between company and freelancer who work from home. Each of them has pros and cons. We've tried to single them out in the infographic.

20. jenifercredit

jenifercredit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Virtual employees are good but how much will you be able to trust in a person who lives thousands of miles away from you what will you show to a potential client who visitors your office, yes it is good for cost cutting and small projects, may be a small term guidance but for long term virtual employees are not recommended.