Video Surveillance for your business! Analog or Cloud based?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by smurfcho, Nov 6, 2013.

1. smurfcho

smurfcho
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I bought recently a cafe...I want to put video surveillance!
    I checked the prices to get regular video camares and recording system, but I did a little research!
    It is expensive to buy all this hardware - about $300-$400..
    With the cloud based IP surveillance is different stroy - I just need to buy IP cameras and hooked them up to my internet connection!
    Also checked several sites, that are with pretty good quality services fennocloudcam(dot)com, ivideon(dot)com..They provide different plans for homes and business!
    I talked with a guy from fennocloudcam and He explained, that if I get home based recording ssystem and server and if someone comes to my property - thief or someone else, He can steal the servers and the recordings will be gone. If they are cloud based and I have an UPS system somewhere in my garage or basement- my internet and electric power will not disappear, if the thifs cut the electric cables and all my recordings and live monitoring will be protected!
    What do you think..I choce fennocloudcam, but maybe there are other options as well..Please advise!

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

start out small

If you're a newcomer in the business you'd better start out small, without investing too much money into what you don't yet have deep understanding yet. Actually, they usually say analog vs digital, for these are just too different technologies. And cloud is the whole new level of service which may be ways too exquisite for you when you're just starting the business.

Most would suggest to begin with analog DVR for they are cheap. In my opinion, however, this is not a long-sighted plan. The cheaper the DVR, the less scalable it is, and less adjustable to your needs. I for my part like to choose once and for all times, and that's why I usually look into having something that I could easily upgrade or re-use when the time comes, not just throw away and replace with another thing. If you're into compromises like getting mediocre results for a cheap price, go for DVRs. If you can pay a little (just a little) more for really good quality, upgrade opportunities and more features, well, sir, then digital would be your weapon of choice. A few cameras, a laptop, an Internet connection (if you'd like to have backup offsite) - that'll do the job, and'll do it great.

Place the cameras over entrance, cash register, maybe a general view of the place, connect them to the laptop where you have a proper video surveillance or webcam software running (mine is on Linux and I'm using Xeoma for it), set up back up of footage to another computer or virtual storage and 24/7 remote monitoring and here you go, a great video surveillance system without messing around with cloud technologies.