VB NewsFeed / Bot

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, May 9, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Does anyone know of any news feeds or bots that could post business or webmaster related news here, on Business Advice Forum?

Do you think this would be a good addition to our personal success and business forum?

I previously used W3Reports (on a different forum) but from looking at their site it doesn't appear that they are updating it.

Thanks!

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Reuters have some RSS feeds but not one that will automatically create threads in our forum. I think this would be a good addition if we can find some sites that offer forum rss feeder.

I tried to search in google but I had no luck Fergal. I also only came up with w3reports in the search results.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've searched in other locations and forums and haven't been able to find this type of bot. Given the huge number of forums on the web, there might be a good opportunity for someone to develop this type of service and profit from it.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, doesn't VB have a plugin for this? You can do that with SMF forums so I'm sure VB will have it. I'll look around and see if I find anything. They're handy for skimming topics and you can create your own custom feeds around key phrases but those do need a lot of tweaking initially to get it right, more or less in the same way you'd narrow down a search. I have lots of RSS feed resource sites bookmarked, just yell if you want them.

As an aside, I know that with VB you can set up RSS feeds for your forum's categories and display the posts elsewhere eg you could have an individual RSS feed for the Online Business section, etc. and that gives members the option to add them to their sites/blogs.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, I'm surfing around and I just read a thread here where someone was needing help with their vBulletin RSS feed. They have it set up to post in a specific folder and it posts every 30 minutes, so it definitely exists. Seems there's such a thing as an RSS manager. You might be able to glean some hints from that thread but in the meantime I'll keep looking.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Excellent Kay, thanks for that, it's exactly what I was looking for.

All I need to do now is to find some RSS feeds that would provide useful information to our members.

Any suggestions?

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Excellent, glad that was what you needed. :) RSS feeds, I've got a lot. :D Once you start looking, you'll see them everywhere.

Nearly all the news sites have an RSS feed link and you usually find it at the bottom in their footer. It will have the orange RSS icon or simply say RSS or News Feeds. I'd go for ones related solely to their business section(s) and stick with the big boys.

If there's a particular blog you like, they'll have one too no doubt. Just click their RSS icon in their sidebar to get the URL you need. Ignore all the "add to My Yahoo" etc buttons and look for one that just says XML or RSS or subscribe in a reader.

If you look at the bottom of my sidebar at The Cuckleburr Times, you'll see what I mean. Lots of bloggers use Feedburner by the way like I do, so don't be surprised to see that come up differently for some feeds.

Ok, good links, hmm. Here's a few suggestions. I assume you'd want a big Irish news service in there but I didn't know what it would be LOL. If you can't find the link at any site you fancy, leave me a message and I'll have a look for you.

Here's the BBC's RSS help page: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/3223484.stm
    And this is the Business section link: http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/business/rss.xml

The Yahoo one offers many, many variations and the option to customize your own:
    http://news.yahoo.com/rss . Just as an example, here's a custom one using simply "SEO" as the search term.

CNNMoney has a number of feeds, including this small business one. http://rss.cnn.com/rss/magazines_fsb.rss

Funny enough Bloomberg doesn't seem to have one. I was looking for Nazreen because I know she likes them. I'll double check with my Sage FF add-on when I'm back on my other computer. (It auto discovers them on a page).

What Feedzilla does is give you a feed drawn from a variety of places on one subject eg if you look at this Advertising one, you'll see they pick up items from the New York Times, BusinessWeek and About.com. Good if you're watching a particular topic. At Feedzilla, you click on the RSS icon next to the category name to get the feed URL, not the name itself. (You can ignore the create a RSS widget bit.)

Any favorite motivational speakers? They'll probably have RSS feeds on their sites/blogs too. Really with custom feeds the world's your oyster because you can put in a name even if they don't have an RSS feed and it'll pull up any articles anywhere that are new about them.

Most of my bookmarked ones are more tech related because I'm a geek. I'll trawl through them though when I get back to my main computer and see if I have any more suggestions. It all depends on how many you want and what you'd like to focus on. :) Hope that helps get you started anyway.

#8 Kay, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
  9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Excellent Kay, thanks for researching those, I'll go through them over the next few days and try to integrate one that would benefit us all.

11. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're welcome, Fergal, glad to help. :) I was thinking last night a motivational quote of the day would be a nice one to have too. It perhaps would be best set up as an ongoing thread rather than individual ones, if it's possible to have different formats for different categories.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nice idea Kay, I'll certainly consider that. There are times when I could do with the motivation myself.

13. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi! KAy
    I think to share a resource with you & all others here who want to have their desktop loaded with a motivational quote daily from either HOLY BIBLE or nature or General Life..Here is a software paper quote..try it .it is free..you can then subscribe to three basic free channels of quotes which will regularly updates your desktop with a motivational quote..:)

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you used PaperQuote yourself Scifi?