Using Registered Trademarks

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by borisfowler, Sep 22, 2010.

1. borisfowler

borisfowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all, quick question. I want to start selling a certain product, and I think I could improve the product by putting logos and other labels on it so people could personalize it. My question is how I go about legally putting registered trademarked logos on my product.

Thanks for the help.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

borisfowler do you want to put other companies' logos on your product? If so the easiest way to legally do this would be to get written permission from the companies concerned. Contact them, explain how having their logo on your product will help with promoting their brand and then ask for permission to do it. Some companies will probably decline but some will be happy to have the extra promotion.

Does that answer your question?

3. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal has given you the right advice.

If you get the agreement from them don't be surprised if now and again you receive a call or letter from their legal department asking you to take it down. You will need to produce the letter stating that you have permission and then all will be fine.

Also, when using their logo, use it as is and only use it in a way that promotes their brand, so don't change the use after getting their agreement, if they feel it is damaging their brand they will come after you.