Using multiple keywords

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by alextroat, Jul 13, 2010.

1. alextroat

alextroat
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am really new to the SEO field and am learning new things by the day. I made some real progress today as I used two very similar keywords in the same article. A friend suggested that I make two similar articles rather than one with both the phrases. He said this will prevent Google from being confused as to which phrase I wished to rank for. It somehow made sense to me. Now I want to know why Google won’t rank the same article for using both keywords as it would rank an article for using only one?

#1 alextroat, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

You need to separate our what you term 'rank' to where you appear in search results as they mean 2 different things.

I'm not fully clear on what you mean but you can of course write a single article that contains similar and related terms. These terms should be follow anchor links to your site or to specific pages on your website too.

Adding 2 articles is of course good too so long as you don't duplicate content. It really depends on the terms in question.

For example. Lets say I do web design. If I write an article and my similar words are Website Design and Web page Design I'd be better writing a single article and using these and other related words.

Hope that helps
    Regards

3. forum.wedost.com

forum.wedost.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you will use one keyword then it will Ranked good. Also, with two keywords the rank will be good but overall rank of one keyword will be more than using two keywords.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why do you say that? You only need to use a keyword two or three times in a page, for Google to pick it up and recognise it as important. Using it more than that won't really help your rankings for that keyword. Based on that, you could rank very well for two different but similar keywords on the same page?

5. bmk

bmk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hay Sir

You had answered this question but i did not clear my self in this regard
    Means please answer this
    Is it beneficial to to use same keywords multiple time in the same articles
    or
    Its beneficial to write two different articles with some difference

Please help me out in this
    Thanks

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

bmk if you are publishing the article on your own site, you could include two keywords. If you are writing the article for publication on other sites, you could concentrate on one keyword and link that keyword back to your site. I say concentrate on one keyword, because most site owners will only allow you a limited number of links from the article.

7. forum.wedost.com

forum.wedost.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually My response created confusion.. Sorry for that.. What I mean to say, according to my experience, it is good to use same keyword twice or thrice that can increase the value of that posts but it is not good to use different keywords in one post..

8. BDR_London

BDR_London
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When writing an article you should concentrate on a phrase you want to rank for and focus on this phrase, you should use synonyms for your keywords but stick with roughly the same phrase. You should repeat the phrase a number of times in the article, the number will depend on how long the article is, as you don't want to keyword stuff but you want the keyword density to be just right. The best way to check whether you have keyword stuffed is to read the article over if it makes sense and does not repeat itself then you have it right.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The most important thing is to write for humans not for search engines, including your keyword two or three times on the page is enough. If you use the keyword so often that the writing is unnatural to read, the search engines will take that as a signal that the page is spammy.

10. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

11. bmk

bmk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hay

Thank you so much for all the help and interesting
    information about the things
    Love you
    all

12. pwsolutions

pwsolutions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

density of your keyword should be from 4 to 8% of your total website content. i am not sure but i think google splits your ranking among all the keywords you want your website to be ranked for (if you try to rank one url for multiple keywords).

13. bmk

bmk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keywords

hay there
    Its really interesting thing are coming in this discussion,
    Yes you are write that the ration of keywords should be in between 4 - 8 % but i have read some where that it can be 20% any ways
    its all true in some or in other way
    it means that if 250 words of content then there will be 10 words used will be keywords.
    its interesting.

14. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Aren't keywords fun?

Put it in your page url, title and at least the first paragraph. In articles I generally look at about 2% density because otherwise they tend to read as if written for search engines rather than people. Primarily content is for people (and title, first para is good enough for SEO).

The reason I do 2% is I use the ezine plugin for WordPress and submit many posts directly to ezine which sets a max density of 2%.

My rule of thumb make sure it's in the title and first para and absolutely written for people.