Using a laptop at my desk?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Fergal, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My home PC is getting old and slow, however my Windows 7 laptop is faster and more modern. The PC and laptop both use the Internet over a wireless router connected to the PC and a modem.

I've been considering using the laptop from home, with the PC monitor, keyboard and mouse. What would be the best way to do this, should I:

1. Connect the monitor, mouse and keyboard into the laptop
    2. Somehow use the laptop over the small home network
    3. Or do I need to do something else?

Thanks!

2. gogreenbusiness

gogreenbusiness
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suggest you use the laptop as your primary equipment and make your home pc as your back up. I am also in this same situation. I use my notebook to do most of my works since it's more reliable and efficient.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have done this before Fergal. I got an adapter to hook up the keyboard and mouse to the laptop. And then I hooked up the monitor and just used the function on the laptop to turn on only the external monitor. Works perfectly. I know others who do this too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never tried this one dude, What did you connect on the laptop? I have a desktop and it is really very slow. If ever I want to connect it on my Laptop what are the things must be connected?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. I may just get one of those adapters mentioned by sayitproud.

How do you actually do that gogreenbusiness? Do you use a router?

6. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's fine using your laptop rather than your PC. But I would recommend that you also upgrade your PC so whenever your laptop fails for example you can still have you PC to rely on. Also always keep your files on back up or make use of an external drive where you can save copies of your documents.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kimipatel

kimipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now world every one should have laptop to go out and easy to carry out... So laptops is very use full product.. And apart of this tab lats also going to popular in slow way....So now all the PC is used for back up....you can also used for tutorial work in home PC. So don\t worry for this things... It will help you any time...

8. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse rather than an adapter. They are pretty cheap and the wireless transmitter, which used to be the size of a golf ball and attached to a cord, now fits almost entirely inside the USB port.

My laptop screen has a very large screen (17.3"), so I don't bother to hook up an external monitor, even though I have several sitting around. I use a 19" monitor at work so the difference isn't all that much. Hooking up a single monitor is as easy as just plugging it in. If you want dual monitors, that is probably a bigger problem for many laptops.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone. I connected my laptop to my monitor, mouse and keyboard. It all worked very well but I didn't like the way the image displayed on my monitor. I tried different screen resolutions but it was still difficult to read the screen, I just couldn't seem to find a comfortable setting. So, I'm back to my PC and am taking some steps to try and speed it up.

10. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Laptop don't last long, it will heat up even if you have an external fan. You will feel the heat after few hours. I suggest you replace the operating system of your desktop to improve its performance.

11. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I suggest to upgrade your PC from hardware to software. Go for i5 ior i7 processor. And as much as possible go for the 64 bit (but make sure that your hardwares are 64 bit capable).

12. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can replace your old PC with a new one or upgrade it (simply by increasing its hardware specs and reinstalling the operating system) instead of connecting laptop with your monitor because some laptops have the option to connect with monitor but its not more reliable than a PC as sometimes the graphics are only compatible with laptop screen and you can't view them properly on a monitor having different resolutions and you can only use it in safe mode.

• Like Like x 1
  13. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The pc probably works fast back then so maybe adding RAM and disabling services that aren't needed is enough.

14. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All you have to do is hook up your mouse and keyboard. If they are USB you should probably be able to plug them right in. If they aren't USB, you just get an adapter to USB and plug that in. Most laptops have a way to hook up a monitor. That's all you need. Hook up those three things and slide the laptop under your desk or wherever and it should feel just like you're at a desktop, no different.

15. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Going wireless like that is also a great idea!

16. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Isn't wireless slower than wired?
    and I fee like I'm gonna buy more batteries for wireless mouse and keyboard when my girl was using them for nearly 6months.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. I have disabled some services and removed some unused programs from my PC which has helped a little. Next step is to buy some additional RAM for it.

18. harryt

harryt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Desktops will outperform laptops when you compare it spec by spec. Upgrading a desktop is not that expensive anymore. Sometimes buying a while new "box", i.e. no keyboard, monitor and other peripherals. I use the laptop for everything as I need to be portable, and use the desktop for backup. However, if I was working in one office all the time I would go with a desktop and then use the laptop when visiting clients and wanting to make a presentation or demonstrate something. Also, if you want to add and harsware laptops are not the best bet. Desktops then have much more space. Consider a configuration that lets the desktop be the primary, using external drive as backup (or cloud), then networking them as well as configuring your laptop of get access to the desktop over the internet. That way a lower spec laptop is ok for you will only use it offsite and not for the main work you do.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BigBridge

BigBridge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree so! works like a charm

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Harry, sounds like a good option. I've made some changes to my PC which has helped speed it up a little and I'm also consider buying some more RAM, if that doesn't work I'll upgrade to a new PC.