US Represenation for foreign company

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by SIISA, Apr 5, 2012.

1. SIISA

SIISA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am an American with residence in Costa Rica. I own a company that sells occupational safety products to customers within CR. Currently, we purchase our products for resell from CR vendors (except a small amout purchased in Mexico, Nicaragua and Panama). We are often at a competitive disadvantage as our vendors are also often competitors. That said, we want to start buying products directly from US manufacturers or wholesalers. In CR there is no fine line from selling wholesale as oppossed to retail. My question is what legal hurdles would we encounter in hiring someone within the US to represent my company regarding contacting manufacturers or wholesalers to negotiate prices, shipping, etc., if any? Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide advice/assistance.

2. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If the person were an employee, you would obviously have to comply with all laws regulating employment. Those might include wage and hour laws, tax laws, unemployment insurance, workers compensation, etc...

Having an employee in the U.S. might subject you to other laws, but since your sales and other activities would be entirely outside the U.S., I can't think of anything offhand that would apply.

Are there companies that provide the services you describe? It seems that it would be better to try to outsource this to some kind of a buyer's agent firm rather than hire a single employee. I'll admit I never heard of any companies that do, but it seems that there would be a market for a professional buyer's services.

• Like Like x 1