Urgent Help Needed: Reconciling Banner Requirements

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by dave789, Oct 29, 2012.

1. dave789

dave789
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello.
    I need your advice.
    I have two advertising partners.

One has already booked the placement of the leaderboard banner on all pages of the website for 3 months. The pay shoudl arrive soon.

Another is an agency which wants to run a leaderboard and a box in the next month.

I can easily place two leaderboard banners on each page - one above the content - to the right of the logo and the other after the first paragraph of the content. I wonder if this wont piss off either of the advertisers? Can it be cosnidered OK for me to place TWO leaderboard banners on one page?

Thanks!!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Dave, it's great that you have two advertisers that want to purchase such large ad slots on your site. Personally if I paid for an ad slot, believing that my ad would be the only one in the header, I'd be disappointed if I later found out that my ad had to compete with another large ad, for the site visitors' attention. My suggestion would be to advise both of them that you will be adding a second ad slot, before they make their payment.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Or, you may have other pages in your website that you can offer to any of them to post their ads separately. You don't want to lose client advertisers and so making a way before posting those banner adverts to live is a sure way to win them.

4. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well just be careful in putting a lot of ads in the leaderboards. It kills the UX of the visitors and Google already announced an algo about this. I think it's called Top Heavy 2. Google received a lot of feedbacks that they were ranking websites that has lots of ads on the top resulting a user not finding what they are there for in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dave789

dave789
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your replies…. I am new to advertising on a website – I was wondering if you can direct me to a agreement template for website banner advertisement? Or is it properly called Insertion Order? I need a standard document where I can document the terms and conditions for both the parties….any help with this highly appreciated!

6. Owen

Owen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dave !

As Fergal suggested, advertiser may affected interms of ROI/CTR. Though there is no worries as long as both are from different business. Same business may be competitor, will never accept ;)

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Is there very big money involved? If not I'd suggest that you don't need a formal agreement like that. An email confirming what you both agree to, is adequate for most private ad sales.

8. dave789

dave789
    uix_expand uix_collapse

both contracts are around 500$ - you think a simple email agreement will be enough?

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

In my opinion it should be dave789. What you could do is write out an agreement and then develop it over time, i.e. add clauses to it over time as and when required. If you want some guidelines as to what should be included have a look at the terms offered by other advertisers and ad networks such as Google Adwords.

10. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it necessary to put both ads on a leaderboard only? You can put 1 leaderboard ad and another could be at the side making it look much better than two leaderboards at a time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are exactly right getting advertmines in the header can be a great way to make the cost of running your site down lower. Often times that is what webmasters do the advertisements for. But some of the webmaster get a little carried over with how they do it. If they were not to advertisements until the site is further along and they would be better off. Figure out how much it cost to run your site and how much traffic you are getting and go from there.

This is the new things now days having a page just for advertisements is a a great thing to do. The only problem with this is you can't ask as much because not every single visitor will get to see it. So lowering the price on this type of deal is better because you can do multiples instead of just one. Or another new hot thing to do now days is to a rotating banner at a lower price also.

Like I mentioned earlier in my post is that is the problem with webmasters now days, they get to wrapped up and money and start advertising two million sites. I know it may cost a lot of money to run the site but this is not they best way to do it. Like haley said it affects your page rank and when that happens it's a whole new story because now you will have trouble keeping your vistors.

Thats not bad, is it $500 a month or an annual fee for like a year? Umm if its going to be a long term deal I would probably have him sign a paper saying that both of you agree on that price and all the type of stuff like that.

To add my own reply now..
    If you are getting a lot of visitors one option to consider is adsense. I know a lot of people hate this program but if you have the vistors you can by far get more money this way and possibly a better page rank if you dont add more then two google adsense ads.

• Like Like x 1