Urgent advice required : half page ad for print media question

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by rakebackblogger, Nov 26, 2010.

1. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've picked up a cheap slot for a half page space ad in a monthly publication where they are doing a spread on my niche market.

Ive no idea how to go about getting the ad ready. Can anyone help? Do I need to use some special sotware to produce. Can I produce it in a .gif or jpg and then they can fit it to size?

I have asked this of the editor but would also like to get some advice here from people who have some experience in this sort of thing.

Thanks

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

rakebackblogger I'd suggest that you write out all the text you would like included in the ad and bring together any images you want to use. You could create a mock up of the ad using Word or Powerpoint. Give this to the publication and ask that they give you a proof of the ad, for your approval prior to going to print.

Most publications are quite good at creating ads and they should know what works and what doesn't, in their own publication. Use their advice and design services as much as possible.

3. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal, I have already done a mock up in ms paint which they could use as a basis which inludes the image and the text. Cheers, good advice

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Or if you need a more professional or attractive ad, you can hire a designer to design a half page ad for you.
    Of course, you need to have an overall idea on what you would like to see on the advertisement. And leave it to your designer to improve it.
    Then, yo can submit it on the publication for printing. :)

5. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cheers Geki, I have gone with your suggestion as the Editor wasnt really open to touching up my outline which I sent him!

I have already done some work with a company in India so have sent off my design template today to them to "professionalise it".

6. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It sounds like this is your first time trying print advertising. If you want to test it's effectiveness to know if you should use it again, you could try putting in a unique URL and quickly building a new page on your site like yoursite.com/magazinespecial. If you want to be really sure you can even get a unique temporary phone number that forwards to your main line. This way you can compare return on investment of this publication to others, as well as any other advertising you may do. Remember it's not 100% accurate - some people will just walk in to your store and others won't enter the full URL, but it's a start.