UK hung parliament - how will it affect small business?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Kay, May 7, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you think the UK's hung parliament will be good or bad for small businesses there or those with UK dealings, or will it not matter?

It will be interesting to see how it's decided who gets the role of Prime Minister. The Queen may need to make that decision. Personally I'd vote for making them wrestle WWF style for it. :D

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It looks as if David Cameron will do a deal with the Liberal Democrats and that he will be the next PM. Given the UK's current financial situation he will have a tough job ahead of him. Hopefully the change will be positive and good for business, but time will tell.

3. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The hung parliment will make no different to small business. It will have an impact on the publically traded companies as the longer it takes to sort out the longer the markets will be uneasy.

The taxes and everything else remain the same until someone sorts it out and that means as a small business you put your head down and continue to go about your daily life. If your business is domestic then really there should be no change and lets face it nothing you can do about it either. If you have international business then there will be some fluctuations in the exchange markets, but then the Euro is not exactly doing well either at the moment, so it will be minimised for the time being.

Just my opinion but the Conservatives have the best manifesto for small businesses so if they can form the coalition with the Lib Dems and not have to dilute too much then in the long run it will be the best thing for the country. The largest party in the coalition gets to choose the PM so it will be Cameron, one or two Lib Dems may get into the cabinet. There will be some tough times ahead but that is down to Labour killing things in the past, it will be up to them to make sure that everyone knows that there is no choice but to take the appropriate action.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You know I'm really surprised that Gordon Brown didn't keep things under control more. I've not followed UK politics for years unless you count my dad's rant when I call home. :) When Brown took over from Blair, I was cheering because I'd never liked Tony. I felt Blair's whole manner was too much like a Tory and the party manifestos weren't so distinct anymore. I was brought up in a Labour Party supporting home and old habits die hard. Gordon Brown seemed more into managing the purse strings cautiously when he was Chancellor than Blair ever did.

I just want to see small and large businesses get back on their feet and whoever can do that is indeed the right man for the job. Because when business isn't working, nobody is.

And just as I'm typing this, I see breaking news that Brown's putting up a counteroffer to tempt the Lib Dems. Might work too!

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Gordon Brown won't be round to lead any new government. He's announced his resignation as leader of the Labour Party.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BJl5g8Opwjo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BJl5g8Opwjo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I felt quite sad for him when I watched that. Here's hoping the new kid on the block does a good job.
    You realize this means I can't phone my parents for about six months until Dad gets over this.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Gordon Brown wasn't someone who endeared himself to the public on a personal level. Yet a lot of people felt sorry for him after he made his resignation speech and was filmed with his family, leaving 10 Downing Street for the last time. He showed his human side on those occasions. If he had been a bit more personable in the run up to the election, he might have won over more of the public and still be PM, who knows!

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True. I think that's just his manner though. He never struck me as enjoying the spotlight side of being in the public eye. But he knew it came with the job and could have warmed up a bit!

So what about the Queen's speech on the new Government's plans? Anything in that particularly interesting to anyone? Here's a summary of the main points.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Those Government plans look positive, the big question is whether they will actually implement them. It's good to see that investment in broadband infrastructure, features amongst them.

10. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

David cameroon appears to be a youth ful,charismatic and a sharp person a la tony blair.
    I think he will deliver.