Typical Problem

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Gravey, May 30, 2012.

1. Gravey

Gravey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had an employee that was with me for 9 years. 6 months ago he started being intrested in the other aspects of my business. well turns out that he is starting his own business. I had questioned this in the past 6 months prior to him quitting...as things started feeling suspicious. My question is how should i go about with dealing with this. He was trustworthy person...i thought.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Gravey and thanks for joining. There probably isn't really anything you can do about this. Employees are entitled to move on and to set up their own businesses. Obviously we would prefer if they stayed productive and loyal to us, but in reality it is just the way it goes. You can't really blame people for wanting to become self-employed and go it alone.

3. StarBC

StarBC
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try not to think that your former employee betrayed you. May be you can stay in touch with him, refer clients to each other, share good business tips and rather be partners than competitors. Be proud that you "made" his success

• Like Like x 1
  4. kimipatel

kimipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is true. So many people hear who start from to employe to some where for 2 or 3 years. To get knowledge And then start own Business. So why you feel so unconformable. In fact you both are know each other very well... Start doing Business with them Not like competitors. But Business partners.. Share some tips each other Make client help of them... Think about future market. Not short term Market...

5. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you tried talking about it lately? Anyone who has a career always wants to move on and don't just get stuck to where they are. They want to grow and challenge themselves into a more compelling career. Maybe talking first about the problem would let you both see if there are solutions that both of you can come up with or really have to move forward into.

6. Navida

Navida
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Fergal, you can not bind him to stay with you until your wish. But, the other solution is that you can openly discuss this matter with him and try to clear your mind as well as his too. This communication will remove your suspicious feelings and also enable you to take your next decision.